Hiding my amp/XO in the dash (yes, the dash)

Q&A: Electrical and In Car Entertainment (I.C.E.) Technical Support
5 posts Page 1 of 1
Viperoni
onenut

by Viperoni » Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:35 pm
Really, the only reasons to do this is to keep the weight more forward, and so that I can move the seats forwards/backwards.
It's pretty time consuming, and you can't fit a very large ampin there at all.

The amp is a very small 4 channel amp, which will sit above the roof of the glove box in the dashboard, and the XO, an Audio Control 2xs 2way active crossover is already mounted in the glove box.

I'm also going to re-mount my tweeters, they're going to be firing directly towards me as opposed to fiting off the windshield, and hopefully I'll end up with an actual soundstage ;)

92sc2
6th Planet Addict
by 92sc2 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:19 am
Have you powered the amp for any reasonable amounts of time to see how warm it gets? Because there is a reason they're finned, that's because the case is actually the heatsink. Just make sure it stays cool before you go tucking it in a tight space like that. I know my mtx 2 channel used to get real hot and it too was just a lil guy. I probably wouldn't want to even try putting stuff like that in the dash, but I'm ever paranoid of fire.

Viperoni
onenut

by Viperoni » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:15 am
No, I just got the amp, but I'm not too worried about it because the intake for the recirculating function of the HVAC system will draw air across the amp... not that I'll use that in the summer, but it'll keep the amp cool in the winter.
The amp is very small and probably only puts out 20x4 watts RMS, so I'm not worried.

You're right, they are finned because the case does act as a heatsink, but this one doesnt have any actual fins, and luckily, they end up pointing upwards too.

I'll get pics up soon hopefully, today I should be cutting the spacer rings for my doors.

GHSTRIDR
6th Planet Addict

by GHSTRIDR » Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:46 am
SO i finally get to see this set up....that is nice...it looks really good Rudy! I would have never thought of doing that. Sounds pretty good too from what i heard. :D

Seems you have everything at arms length away...hahaha and held on with one nut! :lol: :wink: j/k man

Viperoni
onenut

by Viperoni » Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:51 am
Hahaha dammit you're right again, there's only 1 screw holding in that fuseholder instead of 2 :P

I can't wait to get the front stage running... I have a couple tricks up my sleeve planned for it for the winter too :twisted:
5 posts Page 1 of 1
kuchnie na wymiar radomsko