Exhuast help

Q&A: Performance Technical Support
6 posts Page 1 of 1
Frostman
6th Planet Addict

by Frostman » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:59 pm
Hey guys

My front flex pipe has a very small hole in it. I have been doing some shopping around so that I know where to go when it gets bad enough to change. However, I have been just blown away with what people are asking just for the flex pipe! I can get the whole down pipe/cat/resonator for the price some shops are asking JUST for the flex to be repaired! So I have a hissy fit and got on summitracing and started to build my own exhaust. I am coming up short on stainless steel tubing kits. Most are for dual exhaust and have five miles too long of pipe I would actually need to use.

So my question is, is there anyone that is handy with exhaust work or knows of a place that is reasonable in price? It's not too much of a bother right now and no where near loud enough to bother anyone yet, but I can hear it. If anyone has some suggestions let me know.

Let me know!

Nick

PS I was planning on putting magnaflow cats and muffler system at 2.25" in diameter front to back. The only hard part for me doing it in my driveway is getting a pipe from the manifold and down. It has an odd coupler/reduction fitting on there that I haven't seen before.
andrew88
Our Fearless Leader

by andrew88 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:10 pm
I just came back from a haul so my response will not be long.. I had bad luck with magnaflow cats in the past, could not pass etest. Put a normal one in and no problem.
viperssaturn

by viperssaturn » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:39 am
I too couldn't pass with the high flow on. The problem however, isn't the cat. I had mine changed back to a stockie and the guys couldnt get it to pass. Finally took it to a friend and the first time he ran it, it wouldnt pass. He told the guy in the car to shift into 3rd gear and the car passed with flying colours. He said the problem is that with the bigger diameter exhaust, the air moves faster through the cat making it less effective. Makes sense, since my DOHC with the MP3 trans and all the bolt ons screams like a bitch in second gear on the dyno.

Putting your exhaust together should not be hard. There should be very little that needs to be welded and your downpipe would bolt to the manifold and to the catalytic converter. Where is the ödd coupler/reducer thingie"? If it is attached to your manifold between the manifold and flexpipe, it is a catalytic converter too. They are a pain in the ass and can get clogged and cause shitty performance. Post up a pic of what you are talking about and we can help you a little better with it.
Frostman
6th Planet Addict

by Frostman » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:14 pm
Well, a little update on my car, nothing has happened lol But I found a Cobalt SS manifold that flows a lot better than my stock exhaust. I know it shouldn't be too hard to put one together, but I was looking to see if anyone had/knows of someone with a welder than can weld some flanges/ O2 bungs and things like that. I will be using full stainless as well. This probably won't be for a while, but I still want to plan for it so I am not running around at the last minute.

And the thing about exhaust gas moving faster with larger pipe is not correct. You are going to think I am crazy, but it moves slower. It does allow for more flow, but because the pipe is bigger there is more area for the same amount of gas to travel. So it ends up being that it goes slower, it's not as restrictive with a bigger pipe, which is were top end gains are seen.
Frostman
6th Planet Addict

by Frostman » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:01 am
Got my manifold today! Still looking to find some stainless steel exhaust bits to put it together. Does anyone know or have a welder? Certainly will pay someone to do it/use it.

Next on the list of goodies is a 2.4L intake manifold!
viperssaturn

by viperssaturn » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:38 pm
Frostman wrote:Well, a little update on my car, nothing has happened lol But I found a Cobalt SS manifold that flows a lot better than my stock exhaust. I know it shouldn't be too hard to put one together, but I was looking to see if anyone had/knows of someone with a welder than can weld some flanges/ O2 bungs and things like that. I will be using full stainless as well. This probably won't be for a while, but I still want to plan for it so I am not running around at the last minute.

And the thing about exhaust gas moving faster with larger pipe is not correct. You are going to think I am crazy, but it moves slower. It does allow for more flow, but because the pipe is bigger there is more area for the same amount of gas to travel. So it ends up being that it goes slower, it's not as restrictive with a bigger pipe, which is were top end gains are seen.

If you are doing a complete (header back) exhaust, along with all intake bolt-ons, and your RPMS are higher, not only because of the shitty gear ratio in an MP3 trans but with a lightweight flywheel in there (as in my case), it would certainly move faster. Also with greater volume. If you are taking in more air and exhausting more air in volume, it cannot move at a slower rate. If it were, you would be intaking and exhausting either the same amount or less by volume.
6 posts Page 1 of 1
kuchnie na wymiar radomsko