Just A Question about a Turbo

Q&A: Performance Technical Support
8 posts Page 1 of 1
by Kustom_2001_SC1 » Sun May 31, 2009 12:51 pm
I was wondering if you can put a Turbo on a SOHC i know its not as good as the DOHC but im just wondering if it would work

6th Planet Addict
by Rear-Vue » Sun May 31, 2009 6:28 pm
yes it works, sohc are lower compression them the dohcs. so you can in theory run more boost. most people that are cheap but serious about boosting a sock they keep the bottom end of a sock and use the top end of the dohc and seen a few run upwards of 12lbs and still not blow shit up.

for the older people here they should remember The GPB (gay purple barney) from sixthsphere he was one of the guys who first did it and ran 8-10psi most of the time. his name was seth. but ya people boost sohc get about as fast as a dohc with bolt ons. nothing impressive but would be a nice addition for hp.

i did nitrous for a year or so on my old sock ran fine. just be smart with it when tuning.

by Kustom_2001_SC1 » Sun May 31, 2009 10:01 pm
ya see right now i have a SOHC and did not know if i could turbo it but still want to do a DOHC swop one day

Our Fearless Leader
by andrew88 » Sun May 31, 2009 10:28 pm
Before I killed my previous DD and needed to get the project on the road asap I had planned on doing a sohc turbo to be a little different.
There is obviously less support for them ie boost friendly cams and high flow valves and what not. But if keeping everything stock and kinda buildling everything in the car without pulling the motor than its a fine plan just to keep the sohc for now.. than once it blows up pull it and put the dohc turbo in!

This is a boosted TBI sohc saturn, interesting stuff. Also blew by the end lol
http://www.sixthsphere.com/phpBB3/viewt ... boost+sohc

But a good tune and not too much boost and it will be fun!

by Viperoni » Sun May 31, 2009 10:54 pm
Not worth boosting a SOHC. But it is doable.

6th Planet Addict
by 01saturnsc1 » Sun May 31, 2009 10:55 pm
ive seen some sohc turbos around would be fun to do just to be different wont get quite the #'s as a dohc though unless u want it for bling powa!

by JRSTANGE » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:55 pm
yes you can boost a sohc for but, in most cases you will only gain that of a dohc with bolt ons but, also for other reasons.

The sohc pistons yes are lower compression which in that will keep detonation at bay better and temp cooler etc... but, the major differences between the dohc and the sohc botton end is the sohc have weeker rods and caps based on design. On top of that the sohc dont have the lower gurdle either.

Plus by just swapping a dohc onto the sohc bottom end you gain power but, not as much as the true dohc for the compression loss. Plus more power on those weaker parts would not make me feel safe. I know people have done it and still do but, I wouldn't recommend it. just my 2 cents.

by gold00sl » Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:57 am
he has a 01...the rods, pistons, crank and block are the same as(minus the tie plate) 99.5 - 02 dohc...the earlier year's sx1 had low comp pistons and i think diff rods
8 posts Page 1 of 1
kuchnie na wymiar radomsko