OBX Header just installed :D

Q&A: Performance Technical Support
14 posts Page 1 of 1
inflames625
6th Planet Addict
by inflames625 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:54 pm
Ok. So I finally put the header on my car and it literally took my ALL DAY. : ( Mainly because the bolts that held the header to down pipe were rusted so bad they stripped. So I resorted to using a hacksaw to cut the pipe by hand so I could pull it out. Now all I have to do is find out what the port coming out the middle is used for. It goes to some sensor and a fan or something. I also have to shorten the pipe in the back right before the muffler so the hangers can do their job. (Right now the exhaust is rattling on a body part. but will be fixed tomorrow night.) If anyone know what that port is for it would help me out a a lot. Oh yea, that port also doesn't support my stock tube that went to the old manifold so I have to find something else to connect it to.

AND yes there is a whistle like a turbo but oh well. lol I will have pics by tomorrow.

Dreamimage
Post Whore in Training

by Dreamimage » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:19 pm
I think the hole in the middle of the header you are referring to is where the O2 sensor has to go.
If it is left unplugged or without the O2 sensor active you could damage your engine from lean or rich conditions.

inflames625
6th Planet Addict
by inflames625 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:38 pm
-------------------
/ ( ) ( ) o ( ) ( ) \
|--\ \ \ \-/ / / / |
--- \ \-\ | /-/ /----
Spacer!| | |=

assuming that crappy ascii drawing was my header it would be that red circle that is open. the blue equals sign is some sensor though I don't know what it's used for.

Slayer
O6P Staff

by Slayer » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:38 pm
Edit: drawing helped...

that goes to the air pump on 3rd gens

although i beleive the header needs to be milled in order for it to work, because if it doesnt have the air passage (on the inside of the head flange) it will just through an error code.
somethign to do with the emmisions i beleive

edit #2:

Jon (Viperssaturn) had the same problem i beleive? someone with a 3rd gen and a header had to add more pipe (rubber hose??) to make it fit. but it still doesnt work due to the lack of milling on the inside

inflames625
6th Planet Addict
by inflames625 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:59 pm
Milled as in a hole drilled to open the air pump hole inside the flange? Because all my holes are open and the reason I'm having the length issue is because I left too much pipe before the cat : / oh well. Now that I have my header on I'm reading bad things about it...though I'll make my final judgment if I find any problems. oh yea..so is it bad if the air pump is left off?

viperssaturn

by viperssaturn » Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:09 am
You could burn out the air pump and you need it for emissions standards although I dont know how they are down there. The back of the header to head flange needs to be milled to look like the back of the stock manifold. You could do it ina day with a dremel or do it right and take it to a machine shop and have it done. That is what the hole in the middle is for. As for the bottom right, that is for an o2 sensor. Good luck with it man.

inflames625
6th Planet Addict
by inflames625 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:15 am
shit this sucks...I dont want to have to take the header off again....thanks guys for your help : )

viperssaturn

by viperssaturn » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:13 pm
The header comes off fairly easy man. If you had a hard time with it I hope you put new studs in there cause I got them from the stealership for like fifty cents or something cheap like that. Definitely worth replacing them.

inflames625
6th Planet Addict
by inflames625 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:02 pm
well the old manifold had rusted bolts for the connection to the down pipe and i didnt have an electric saw to cut it so i had to do it by hand...then the compressor had to go and the belt didnt want to co-operate. I have it down now so I will take it off for sure one weekend. Im going to take my car to an exhaust shop to change the flex pipe and to clean up my connection to the stock piping.

inflames625
6th Planet Addict
by inflames625 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:14 pm

as you can see i didn't tighten the two bolts on the bottom yet. and the air blower isnt connected because thats last on the list.

It's...beautiful lol Thanks for all the help guys! : )

Viperoni
onenut

by Viperoni » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:29 pm
Glad you got it in!

Make sure the new flexpipe you get has steel mesh on the INSIDE, just like it will on the outside.
If it has a "rippled" inside, you may end up with whistling or raspiness.
Should look like this: http://www.ultimate-racing.com/ForumPics/FlexPipe01.jpg

inflames625
6th Planet Addict
by inflames625 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:42 pm
Here's a little update on this on-going headache at the moment. I went to an exhaust shop 2 weeks ago. They fought me against welding it and tried to fix the rattling buy bending my tabs so they would fit on the hangers. SO...being the asshole that I am, I went there and had them lift my car up and pretty much took their hand and walked them through what needs to be done. By the time I was done they were speechless and pretty much had to agree to what I wanted but they still didn't want to weld. So now everything is almost 100%. Except now the seal around the clamps they put on got blown out and my car is really loud. yay sometimes...I really hate mechanics.

Thanks viperoni : ) I will need one by the end of winter when I need to get inspected. I want to go in with everything 100% Complete. (by my standards lol)

sc1_man

by sc1_man » Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:03 pm
were did you get this hedder to i am looking to get one for my car when i goes at the exhust.

blazinsc1
Post Whore

by blazinsc1 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:43 pm
hey bro if u have the sc1 the only place i believe that carrys the sohc version of the obx header is a store on ebay motors called tuner depot because they got the bulk of the obx sohc headers for some reason they didn't sell them through saturn motorsports only the dohc was sold through saturn motorsports probably because they figured the sohc would be a flop as it wouldn't help performance very much most the guys go dohc for performance cause u see shitty gains off sohc engines but yea man i did it on my car cause i wanted a full exhaust, but if u wanna find it go on ebay motors and look it up and u'll find it i'm sure!!!
14 posts Page 1 of 1
kuchnie na wymiar radomsko