Hey guys, I cant belive I never registered on here! I could have sworn I did?? Oh well.
Figured I show you all what Ive been up to:
I sold my maxima and picked up a 94 SC2.
Were going to be doing another all motor build in
this one. Basically taking the same mods of the
old red sc2 and adding some new knowledge, more
planning, and a little more of a budget. The basics
of the lower end are somewhat of an experiment
but not completley.
Im using the 99-02 style cracked rods with shaved
95-98 DOHC Hyperutectic pistons. After doing all the
calculations to make up for the .151 difference in
length from the 91-98 rods and the 99-02 rods, I
found the correct ammount to shave the pistons.
I also kept in mind top ring landing size, piston to
head clearance, quench, and valve to piston clearance.
After all is said and done the combo (including a
.040 overbore and flatface valves) will give me 11.5
to 1 compression ratio AND the pistons have a little
larger of a top landing size than a 99-02 OEM piston.
The benefits to this are many for all motor instances.
A smaller top ring landing will have more complete and
efficent combustion due to less trapped gasses on the
sides of the landing....on a side note that equals less
emissions too. The piston ends up being completley
flat faced / flat top and will gain a tighter quench area.
Closer piston to head clearance which will also help
with quench. The piston ends up being lighter And we
all know the benefits of using a longer rod and shorter
piston. Plus this is more cost effictive than using forged
pistons for N/A and the hyper pistons allow tighter piston
to wall clearances than forged would.
I also got the crank lightened and the rotating assembly
balanced (pistons, rods, crank, flywheel).
Here are some pics of the block. Its been bored and honed
.040 over and then cleaned.
Heres some of the crank, luckily it only needed a polish
on the journals so I can still run std. bearings and it ends
up being cheaper.
^ Heres the dots on the counter weight where the flywheel
and crank need to line up for the correct balance.
Just some pics of the flywheel...it weighs in at 7.5 Lbs. Also
on a plus note the balance on it was so good no material had
to be removed from it.
^you can see the marks on the top right corner to match
up with the marks on the counter weight on the crank.
Pics of the shaved pistons
^here you can see how some material needed to be
removed from the bottoms to match the weights for the balance.
^ 0.083 top ring land, .003 more than a stock 99-02 piston
I was also concerend with how much meat in the middle of
the piston would be left. I had 1 lone 95-98 hyper and a stock
99-02 piston so I cut them both in half to see after the shaving
how much material would be left. I was very happy to see
how much thicker the hypers are vs. the stockers. Theres
still going to be more material on the shaved hypers than
the 99-02's, so thats all good.
Pics of the rods
^ you can see the material removal on some of the rods needed for the balance
Heres another little prototype part I made. Its a crank
scraper. Should help with the higher rpms by keeping oil
from slinging off and adhereing to the counter weights of
the crank and off the ends of the rods. It also should cut
down any kind of "windage cloud"