Legal/Illegal car mods in Ontario (please add info!)

Q&A: Technical Support
15 posts Page 1 of 1
Viperoni
onenut

by Viperoni » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:46 pm
Here's a quick guide from york region's Project Erase:
http://www.yorkregionsavealife.com/Erase/side.htm

Also check out the Highway Traffic Act:
http://www.yorkregionsavealife.com/Eras ... ts/HTA.pdf

Environmental Projection Act:
http://www.yorkregionsavealife.com/Eras ... ts/EPA.pdf

and finally the Dangerous Good Transportation Act (*ahem* nitrous *ahem*):
http://www.yorkregionsavealife.com/Eras ... 0Goods.pdf

From what I've read, it appears that a side exit exhaust is legal :)

sc2racer
our6thplanet.com Owns me
by sc2racer » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:42 pm
whats in there about underglow lighting ?

weston
by weston » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:58 pm
I'm not sure if it's different from city to city...but..
Underglow is illegal, along with washer fluid sprayer nozzle lights, license plate lights...
Pretty much any colored lighting exterior of the vehicle.

the_new_raceman
O6P Staff

by the_new_raceman » Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:19 am
weston wrote:I'm not sure if it's different from city to city...but..
Underglow is illegal, along with washer fluid sprayer nozzle lights, license plate lights...
Pretty much any colored lighting exterior of the vehicle.

Isn't that only if using on the streets...using them as show items shouldn't be a problem...no?

scrt69
6th Planet Addict

by scrt69 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:01 am
if you use them while driving... ILLEGAL
if you turn them on the second you get off the road and into a parking lot, etc(private property) then you are OK :)

sc2racer
our6thplanet.com Owns me
by sc2racer » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:35 am
yea everyone knows that about the parkinglot, its just that everyone has different views on underglow lighting ... even cops have mixed emotions ... soem tell me that its ok if you dont see the bulb blah blah blah and others are like dont turn them on cuz you will get caught .. lol .. even some of us on here had mixed emotions about them being hidden and all that ..

Meh .. I just turn them on in a parkinglot when I get into it ... I don't car for driving with them on when Im on the street :wink:
Fireball027
6th Planet Addict

by Fireball027 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:02 pm
Viperoni wrote:From what I've read, it appears that a side exit exhaust is legal :)

I'm pretty sure a side exhaust is ok....as long as its not a flame thrower.

and as far as the lights, every cop has a different opinion. It all depends if you will be ok or get a ticket depending on the mood of the cop.

dazz
6th Planet Addict

by dazz » Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:52 pm
side exhaust needs to exit past the cabin doors and i think on the passenger side... i wouldnt quote me on that though...

coppertop_01
Crazy Saturn Mofo

by coppertop_01 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:04 pm
That is how it is for side exit exhuast, past the last opening door and window

As for underglow, it is a grey region......because if I remember, the law states that you can't see the bulb/light source, but if it is a reflection, well that is completely different........again a grey zone depending on the cop that sees the lights

Jer

Viperoni
onenut

by Viperoni » Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:50 pm
coppertop_01 wrote:That is how it is for side exit exhuast, past the last opening door and window

As for underglow, it is a grey region......because if I remember, the law states that you can't see the bulb/light source, but if it is a reflection, well that is completely different........again a grey zone depending on the cop that sees the lights

Jer

I'll have to look further into the side exit.
It doesn't say anything that specific in the HTA.

As for the neon's, I've heard the "you can't see the bulb" thing before, and it kinda makes sense.
Read this section of the HTA for more info:
http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/DBLaws/Stat ... .htm#62.(1)

coppertop_01
Crazy Saturn Mofo

by coppertop_01 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:33 pm
A couple interesting things that I found while searching the HTA

Attachment that affects lamps prohibited

(7) No person shall drive upon a highway a motor vehicle if either or both of the lamps that are required on the front of the vehicle by subsections (1), (2) and (3),

(a) are coated or covered with a coloured material; or

(b) have been modified by the attachment to the lamps or the motor vehicle of any device that reduces the effective area of the lenses or the intensity of the beam of the lamps. 2002, c. 18, Sched. P, s. 19 (1).

Basically you can't coat your headlights with anything, tinting, or painting. Also according to part B, the GTS headlight covers are illegal as well.

Strength of front lamps

(9) No motor vehicle shall carry on the front thereof more than four lighted lamps that project a beam having an intensity of over 300 candela. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 62 (9).

Can't drive with more than 4 headlights, and for those running projectors, your projectors can't excced 300 candela

Vehicles of firefighters

(16) A firefighter, within the meaning of subsection 1 (1) of the Fire Protection and Prevention Act, 1997, may carry on or in his or her vehicle a lamp that produces intermittent flashes of green light and may operate the light if the motor vehicle is proceeding to a fire or other emergency. 1997, c. 4, s. 81.

Same

(16.1) No person other than a person described in subsection (16) shall operate a lamp that produces intermittent flashes of green light. 1994, c. 35, s. 1.

Mark, I don't think you are a firefighter.............LOL

Flashing blue light on snow-removal equipment

(31) No person shall, while operating a road service vehicle on a highway, plow, salt or de-ice the highway or apply chemicals or abrasives to the highway for snow or ice control unless the road service vehicle is equipped with a lamp producing intermittent flashes of blue light visible for a distance of 150 metres from all directions. 1996, c. 33, s. 11.

Restriction on use of flashing blue light

(32) No person shall operate a lamp that produces intermittent flashes of blue light on a highway except in the circumstances described in subsection (31). 1996, c. 33, s. 11.

I believe that everybody knows this one, no flashing blue lights, unless you are a snowplow, but then some of the mod'd cars out there can be considered a snow plow.

62. (1) When on a highway at any time from one-half hour before sunset to one-half hour after sunrise and at any other time when, due to insufficient light or unfavourable atmospheric conditions, persons and vehicles on the highway are not clearly discernible at a distance of 150 metres or less, every motor vehicle other than a motorcycle shall carry three lighted lamps in a conspicuous position, one on each side of the front of the vehicle which shall display a white or amber light only, and one on the rear of the vehicle which shall display a red light only. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 62 (1).

From what I read, basically with this one, ALL cars must only have white and amber visable from the front of the car, this is where I think the cops can get you for underglow lights............unless they are white or amber, but those colours are gay

But here is the grey area,
shall display a white or amber light only
is a reflection off the surface of the road considered displaying? It is a misleading description in the HTA

Jer
Last edited by coppertop_01 on Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cyphon21
6th Planet Addict

by cyphon21 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:39 pm
um it doesnt say tail lights cant be tinted...some cars come stock with rear tinted tails...it says fronts only cannot be modified (ie tint or paint the chrome reflecting the light forward in the headlight)

coppertop_01
Crazy Saturn Mofo

by coppertop_01 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:42 pm
My bad, misread

more shit I found

Equipment obstructing view

Signs, objects, etc.

73. (1) No person shall drive a motor vehicle upon a highway,

(a) with any sign, poster or other non-transparent material or object placed on the windshield or on any window of such motor vehicle; or

(b) with any object placed in, hung on or attached to the motor vehicle,

in a manner that will obstruct the driver?s view of the highway or any intersecting highway. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 73 (1).

Colour coating obstructing view prohibited

(2) No person shall drive a motor vehicle upon a highway where the surface of the windshield or of any window of the vehicle has been coated with any colour spray or other colour coating in such a manner as to obstruct the driver?s view of the highway or any intersecting highway. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 73 (2).

Colour coating obscuring interior

(3) No person shall drive on a highway a motor vehicle on which the surface of the windshield or of any window to the direct left or right of the driver?s seat has been coated with any coloured spray or other coloured or reflective material that substantially obscures the interior of the motor vehicle when viewed from outside the motor vehicle. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 73 (3).

This one is good........no tinting on the side windows, windshield banners, windshield tinting, and no stupid CD's hanging from your rearview mirror

75. (1) Every motor vehicle or motor assisted bicycle shall be equipped with a muffler in good working order and in constant operation to prevent excessive or unusual noise and excessive smoke, and no person shall use a muffler cut-out, straight exhaust, gutted muffler, hollywood muffler, by-pass or similar device upon a motor vehicle or motor assisted bicycle. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 75 (1).

Pretty much EVERY aftermarket muffler is illegal, they are pretty much all straight through styled, and forget about bypasses.

Unnecessary noise

(4) A person having the control or charge of a motor vehicle shall not sound any bell, horn or other signalling device so as to make an unreasonable noise, and a driver of any motor vehicle shall not permit any unreasonable amount of smoke to escape from the motor vehicle, nor shall the driver at any time cause the motor vehicle to make any unnecessary noise, but this subsection does not apply to a motor vehicle of a municipal fire department while proceeding to a fire or answering a fire alarm call. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 75 (4).

DAMNIT..........my airhorn is illegal

Also this part refers to stereo's too, althought it doesn't say sound systems, a stereo can be identified as a signalling device, so rudy watch it...........lol

Television in motor vehicle

78. (1) No person shall drive on a highway a motor vehicle that is equipped with a television receiving set,

(a) any part of which is located in the motor vehicle forward of the back of the driver?s seat; or

(b) that is visible to the driver while he or she is operating the motor vehicle. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 78 (1).

Operation of television in motor vehicle

(2) No person shall drive on a highway a motor vehicle in which a television set, while being operated, is located in the motor vehicle forward of the back of the driver?s seat or is visible to the driver while he or she is operating the motor vehicle. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 78 (2).

So doesn't this mean that all those high end yuppy driving gas guzzling soccer moms with TV's in the dash telling those losers where to go cause they can't read a effing map are illegal?

Jer

vueboi
Tool Whore
by vueboi » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:15 pm
coppertop_01 wrote:
Vehicles of firefighters

(16) A firefighter, within the meaning of subsection 1 (1) of the Fire Protection and Prevention Act, 1997, may carry on or in his or her vehicle a lamp that produces intermittent flashes of green light and may operate the light if the motor vehicle is proceeding to a fire or other emergency. 1997, c. 4, s. 81.

Same

(16.1) No person other than a person described in subsection (16) shall operate a lamp that produces intermittent flashes of green light. 1994, c. 35, s. 1.

Mark, I don't think you are a firefighter.............LOL

Jer

hey...my beast could put out fires..i just need a water tank!....or a trailer with a tank and pump....hehehe..
im 1/2 the way there!!
i even have the horn!

subliminal64
Post Whore

by subliminal64 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:17 pm

Most mads are for "off road use only"
15 posts Page 1 of 1
kuchnie na wymiar radomsko