01 SOHC into a 98 SOHC

Q&A: Technical Support
6 posts Page 1 of 1
Nairb03
Verified Newbie
by Nairb03 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:41 pm
Can I replace my 1998 1.9L SOHC with a 2001 1.9L SOHC? I see that the 93-98 models are pretty much interchangeable, but I can't find anything regarding the compatibility between these 2 years. The new motor I am getting has the intake and exhaust manifold still attached. Do I need the computer, or will mine work? Will it fit into my motor mounts? The seller is sending me some pictures in the morning. My transmission is a 5sp Manual, is the bolt pattern the same there? Anything else that would prevent me from swapping, please let me know, thanks.

-Brian
viperssaturn

by viperssaturn » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:27 am
You can put an 01 in and yes the transmission will fit fine. You are going to run into an issue with getting the AIR pump system hooked up. The 98 did not have it so you may be able to get away with it as the 98 computer does not know it is missing. Maybe Jer or Rudy can chime in with more knowledge on this one. I know that I can have my comp flashed back to 98/99 and it will forget that there ever was an AIR system so thats what Im thinking there with the computer. Good luck with it. Is the 98 SOHC in relatively good condition? I may be willing to take it off your hands if so.
Slayer
O6P Staff

by Slayer » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:42 am
technically you shoudl be able to swap your head form teh 98 and drop it right in. why exactly are you changing it?
Nairb03
Verified Newbie
by Nairb03 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:21 am
In the 98 SOHC that I am taking out, actually just finished pulling it out, the ring in one of the cylinders is bad. Have gas in my oil and burning about a quart every 100 miles. Plug is fouling out and it's running rough from not firing right.

I noticed the exaust manifold isn't quite the same, going to keep the 01 I got intact and try to see if the computer doesn't notice that air pump not hooked up on the exhaust manifold. The motor was a good find with intake and exhaust manifold still installed and intact. Only 59 thousand miles on it. I don't really want to put my old head on it. I have my doubts on the valves being good in the 98 head.

I don't think you want the 98 SOHC viperssaturn. With the bad ring in the block and possible cylinder/piston dmg along with the mixed feelings about the valves... Seems like a dud.

I will keep you posted on my progess, this is my first whole motor change. I am kind of excited about the project.
Nairb03
Verified Newbie
by Nairb03 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:09 am
It's a success! I had to use my old intake off the 98 to match the fuel rails (not even sure I had to), but the exhaust off the 01, as it was the only one that would bolt to the head. We had to cut and weld the exhaust up because it wouldn't clear the tortion bar, but it runs great. I even put a new clutch kit in it when we had it apart. I hope to put another 100,000 miles on the car now. I just didn't hook up that air pump that sits on the exhaust side. I am not sure where it ties into. Probably the air going into the intake? Doesn't seem to affect the car at all.
andrew88
Our Fearless Leader

by andrew88 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:49 pm
The air pump is just on the exhaust, does not affect the intake side of things.
Glad to hear it was a success!
6 posts Page 1 of 1
kuchnie na wymiar radomsko