need second opinion

Q&A: Technical Support
16 posts Page 1 of 2
Slayer
O6P Staff

by Slayer » Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:27 pm
Hey, I need a second opinion regarding re-using a clutch or buying a new one..

here's the situation

the car i bought was for sale 1 year before i bought it, it sat for a couple months with a blown tranny, it didnt sell, so the guy put a tranny in it. (it was a junker tranny i can tell) bu thte clutch components looks like they were all new.

After about 6 months of driving (im guessing) the motor blew, it sat in the guys driveway again for a few months befor ei bougth it.

so anyways i took it all apart today, and the clutch looks brand new still, flywheel has no pits or grooving, pressure plate is the same, and the clutch looks good.

judging by the pics atatched, who would risk putting this back in the car

Also, the plans for this car are to be a winter beater that i dont care if it lasts longer than this winter
plus Sarah will be re-learning standard on it (refining her skills) so putting a new cluch in with the possibilty of ruining it, seems like a bad idea right now.

next year im willing to change the motor out, and at that time put a new clutch in if that plan goes through.

anywyas the pics, what do you think

rememebr just has to pass the winter

P.S. for Viperssaturn : this is double the thickness of the clutch we removed from your car, was that clutch bad when we removed it? (the 02 SC2)
The last pic os a nice shot of the hole int he engine... Hole = Get car for $70 :D

andrew88
Our Fearless Leader

by andrew88 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:52 pm
Well you can get a luk clutch kit for under 200$ so if its questionable I would replace it.

But if it looks good (from the pics it looks decent) and your planning to teach someone to learn stick on it I would put it back in.
And if your willing to do a motor swap next year again it would make sense to leave the old clutch in now and maybe get a nicer one when you do the swap.

my 2cents

viperssaturn

by viperssaturn » Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:58 pm
Yeah, my clutch was fried when we swapped it. I'm sure you know my answer, but I would put a new one in. The thought of a mid winter swap because one of the clutch components broke is a nightmare. But you know I would help either way. Just call me if you need a hand! Also, you should change the rear main seal for the price of it and because you are already in there. :wink:

Slayer
O6P Staff

by Slayer » Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:56 pm
rear main and both axels will be replaced, also, i will be buying the removal tool cause your experience was kinda scary lol

im thinking that i will use the old clutch just because it is so new, and I am actually looking at another car for a beater anyways that runs, this may turn into my project car only which if thats the case the motor will come right back out. Basically the car is being put together as a just incase we dont get this other car.

i have a week to decide, plus i will check with my one supplier that i just got aproved for on friday, see if they sell clutches cheap. maybe i'll buy a clutch just top get my sales rep up ;)

Frostman
6th Planet Addict

by Frostman » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:10 am
I would re use the old one from now. Makes the most sense to me.

What removal tool are you talking about by the way? Will be pulling my motor out soon... any interesting issues would be great : )

Rear-Vue
6th Planet Addict
by Rear-Vue » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:37 pm
it looks pretty good i would re use it like you said its a beater and its a practice car just throw it back in.

Slayer
O6P Staff

by Slayer » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:14 pm
Frostman wrote:I would re use the old one from now. Makes the most sense to me.

What removal tool are you talking about by the way? Will be pulling my motor out soon... any interesting issues would be great : )

its a weird looking tool used to remove the axel seals, because removing it with a screw driver is effing crazy

re-installing sucks too, get a big socket hahahaha

Viperoni
onenut

by Viperoni » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:02 am
Clutch looks fine, I'd scuff up the surfaces before putting it back together though.

Axle seals can be fun lol. I've never had any go bad on me, but it's cheap insurance to replace em now.

Slayer
O6P Staff

by Slayer » Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:51 pm
Viperoni wrote:Clutch looks fine, I'd scuff up the surfaces before putting it back together though.

what do you suggest 120 grit?

should i sand the flywheel & pressure plate like they suggest for brakes?

Rear-Vue
6th Planet Addict
by Rear-Vue » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:00 pm
never touch the pressure plate. thats what i was told. the flywheel just stuff it up with like 40 or 120 grit whatever is laying around all i did today (did a cavy 2.4 clutch ) at work and just touched up the flywheel with the angle grinder with a sanding disk.

Slayer
O6P Staff

by Slayer » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:44 pm
ok, well i still havent cleaned the stuff off yet, so unless the dirt and grime is permanent, i think the flywheel will only need atouch up, the "dirt / wear" looks like just some oil splash or something at the edges... we'll see on the weekend i guess

thanks for the info.

Rear-Vue
6th Planet Addict
by Rear-Vue » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:50 am
yah just brake clean the crap out of everythng and sand down the flywheel.

viperssaturn

by viperssaturn » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:14 pm
This is somewhat related and a little not....Saturn of Hamilton East is closing on October 10th and until then, they are having a major clearance sale. All auto accessories and tires are 50% off and all OEM parts are 40% off. Again this is only until October 10th so if you need anything, now would be the time to get it.

Viperoni
onenut

by Viperoni » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:14 pm
Slayer wrote:
Viperoni wrote:Clutch looks fine, I'd scuff up the surfaces before putting it back together though.

what do you suggest 120 grit?

should i sand the flywheel & pressure plate like they suggest for brakes?

120 sounds about right. Nothing too deep, but you definetely want to get rid of any glazing or smoothness and ridges. I don't see any problem with scuffing the pressure plate, I did it myself before... no problems.

JRSTANGE
by JRSTANGE » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:01 pm
a new one is nice for peice of mind but, if it looks that good reuse them.
16 posts Page 1 of 2
kuchnie na wymiar radomsko