2003 VUE AWD - CVT...

Q&A: Technical Support
7 posts Page 1 of 1
YellowSaturnGuy

by YellowSaturnGuy » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:39 pm
Hey everyone,

My parents are blessed with a 2003 AWD VUE, 2.2L Ecotec with the CVT transmission.

Aside from the transmission issues it is beginning to have, it seems to be a rock solid vehicle. A call to Saturn resulted in a "it will cost 5K to fix, whatever it is" answer.

Are any of you aware people successfully swapping out the CVT for a regular 4-speed auto? I don't think going to a manual trans is an option...

I'm inclined to try and convince them to just dump it and move on, but that is easier said then done. I'll start scouring other message boards if I have to, but I figured I would come to the experts here first :)

Thanks
Tom

Rear-Vue
6th Planet Addict
by Rear-Vue » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:43 pm
from what i know its a direct swap from the tranny 5spd auto or manual. i dont know much else on the pcm aspect. but in theory you could just find yourself a 5spd auto tranny in a junkyard somewhere and a pcm to match and get it all swapped in.

or

trade it in on something else.

so how you been??? msg you on msn a few times but never a responce.

vueboi
Tool Whore
by vueboi » Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:34 pm
the V6 auto is a honda trans, so it and the 2.2 trans are very different
i believe they never made a 5 speed manual awd so thats out unless u can find a 9-2x trans from a saab....then you still have the computer bit to figure out. my buddy has one as well and its got over 200k with almost no issues other than the trans was replaced at 80k (before he bought it). hope things are well Tom....if your parents are selling it let me know because my buddy has been looking for a parts vue for his.

saturnd00d
6th Planet Addict

by saturnd00d » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:45 am
Sorry for the late reply, but as far as I cn remember, the CVT tranny failures were directly swapped out to 4 speed autos in the vues under warranty by Saturn. I'd find out more info if I were you. Might be easier than you think.

YellowSaturnGuy

by YellowSaturnGuy » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:15 pm
hey guys, I have an update!

My parents brought it in about a month ago because it was getting really bad. Turns out, there is a a big lawsuit going on in the states and GM is doing whatever they can to help customers with this problem. My dad called the hotline number, GM is covering 75% of the parts and labour to replace the transmission if the problem is a common type of failure (something to do with a chain the stretches and then eventually breaks)

Anyway, Saturn tore down the tranny, confirmed it was the same problem and a new tranny was shipped from the factory. They had the VUE back in under a week. Cost them somewhere around $1500 all inclusive, but considering the list price on the tranny alone is something like $5800, not a bad deal!!

You can't bring an out-of-warranty vehicle to dealership these days and spend much less than a grand, so I think they did all right. Still a CVT, but one that works!!

If you know anyone else with a CVT VUE, be sure they follow up with Saturn/GM

Tom

Slayer
O6P Staff

by Slayer » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:23 am
its good to hear, and hopefully since they know what the problem was in the trans, they can fix the problem, and send out a GOOD trans to the customers..

hopefully the new tranny will be better for them

saturnd00d
6th Planet Addict

by saturnd00d » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:36 am
I don't think I've heard of anyone else yet who were given another CVT by GM, since they are known to last less than 100,000 kms. I hope things go well for your parents this time around. Best of luck.
7 posts Page 1 of 1
kuchnie na wymiar radomsko