Need some help....

Q&A: Technical Support
11 posts Page 1 of 1
PurpleRain
6th Planet Addict
by PurpleRain » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:51 am
Ok, so.... my car is making a loud humming noise from the driver's front area. There is a grinding/vibration type feeling that I can feel in the floor when I'm driving. It gets worse/louder at higher speeds, and quiets at lower speeds. Happens all the time when moving except at really low speed and when I turn left. But, doesn't happen when I turn at low speed (like at a corner instead of a ramp) The noise is pretty loud - my power steering pump is whining like a beotch, and this noise drowns it out. The noise is like the hum that a tractor makes when it's going at full speed down the road.

Any ideas? Should I park the car?

Thanks!

97SaturnSC2-Turbo
6th Planet Addict
by 97SaturnSC2-Turbo » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:32 am
Could be a wheel bearing since it goes away when you turn to one side, but not the other.

Kevin

coppertop_01
Crazy Saturn Mofo

by coppertop_01 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:47 pm
wheel bearing

Jer

sc2_projekt_97
6th Planet Addict

by sc2_projekt_97 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:18 pm
it is the wheel bearing

PurpleRain
6th Planet Addict
by PurpleRain » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:27 am
That's what we thought it was, but then something made Jon think it wasn't the wheel bearing.

Thanks guys!

Rear-Vue
6th Planet Addict
by Rear-Vue » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:29 am
wheel bearing and its probally stressing out the cv joint causing extra noises but ya from what your saying its wheel bearing.

Slayer
O6P Staff

by Slayer » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:13 pm
both my wheel bearings did the same thing when they were going.

Don't be like me and let it go, i found out mind had a crack right htrough it when we took it apart

viperssaturn

by viperssaturn » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:26 pm
If this is the wheel bearing...it is probably already toast. It sounds worse than any I have ever heard. I drove for 2months on a shot wheel bearing on my Probe before and it sounded nothing like this when I decided to replace it. Hopefully this is all that is broken :roll:

Slayer
O6P Staff

by Slayer » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:29 pm
jack the front end of the car up and see if theres any play in the hub. While you have it up, also check all the other front end stuff, but i beleive we just replaced all that last year right? maybe 1.5 years ago?

the hub is a PITA but im almost posative if we do it on a sunday or sat we can take the hubs to my bros and press them out and in, i beleive i will be talking to him this weekend, i'll ask him (i know you asked me to ask before) but i dont see him often, he lives soo far away (4 blocks man) :lol: at most it'll probably just cost you a case of beer

let me know if you suspect thats the problem before i make arrangments with him

Also, call / Email me tomorrow and we'll talk about it cause we need to have the car out of comision a little bit to take it to his work

Frostman
6th Planet Addict

by Frostman » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:33 pm
Man a case a beer isn't bad. When mine went, and they went within about a month of each other, it cost me 100 bucks a side(minus the cost of the bearings that I got at cost through another friend). A friend of my dads did it at the truck shop he works at. All in all, even though most have said wheel bearing I have to agree too since the sound, sounds just like what mine did before going.

viperssaturn

by viperssaturn » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:47 pm
Slayer wrote:jack the front end of the car up and see if theres any play in the hub. While you have it up, also check all the other front end stuff, but i beleive we just replaced all that last year right? maybe 1.5 years ago?

the hub is a PITA but im almost posative if we do it on a sunday or sat we can take the hubs to my bros and press them out and in, i beleive i will be talking to him this weekend, i'll ask him (i know you asked me to ask before) but i dont see him often, he lives soo far away (4 blocks man) :lol: at most it'll probably just cost you a case of beer

let me know if you suspect thats the problem before i make arrangments with him

Also, call / Email me tomorrow and we'll talk about it cause we need to have the car out of comision a little bit to take it to his work

Yeah this is the only thing that hasnt been replaced. If your bro is willing to do it, KATE will pay him to do it. (I say Kate even though I know I will pay in the end :twisted: ) A case of beer? Thats easy! But I will pay cash too if it sweetens the pot a little bit. On the other hand, I do have a garage where I could put a press. (lol) Cause I need more tools!!!! :wink: Hmmm, let me check into it tomorrow but in the meantime, talk to your bro for me. Thanks.
11 posts Page 1 of 1
kuchnie na wymiar radomsko