Service Engine Codes

Q&A: Technical Support
20 posts Page 1 of 2
jaxon

by jaxon » Wed May 28, 2008 11:29 pm
Hey everyone, I've got a 1999 Saturn SC1 coupe. I ran the computer and it brought up the following error codes: 0341 Camshaft Position Sensor, 0401 EGR Flow insufficient, and Bank 1 Clearance Perf. I don't know where to go from here. I was wondering if anyone has encountered similar problems and knows how to correct them.

Thanks

coppertop_01
Crazy Saturn Mofo

by coppertop_01 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:12 pm
The crankshaft sensor is pretty self explainatory, you need to change the sensor. The EGR insuficiant, my guess would be a bad EGR valve. But the last one I have never heard of.

Jer

PurpleRain
6th Planet Addict
by PurpleRain » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:19 pm
The full definition for 0341 is:
"Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Range/Performance (Bank 1 or single sensor)"

and 0401 is:
"Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Insufficient Detected"

Is the Bank 1 a seperate code? or part of the first code?

jaxon

by jaxon » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:32 pm
For all i know they could be together. My neighbour plugged it in and he wrote them down for me. My dads friend is a goodwrench mechanic and he told me to erase them and see if they come back on. They haven't come back on for 3 days now so I'll wait and see what happens

dazz
6th Planet Addict

by dazz » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:12 pm
this is ridiculous... i just scanned my daily car today and got the exact same codes... plus we live in the same town... some kinda concidence...

i was just about to post too...

jaxon

by jaxon » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:40 pm
yeah man, maybe its the Windsor air. I think I've seen your car around the University. Actually you might have been the one who left the website under my wiper lol. Yeah I have no idea what to do. The service engine light came back on again. I haven't scanned it yet to see whats up but its probably the same codes.

Sleepy Sl
by Sleepy Sl » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:14 am
camshaft positioning sensor code comes up usually when the ignition control module goes bad. i forgot the whole story behind the code but... sattys don't have a camshaft positioning sensor. it's like in the ICM. just make sure its not the crankshaft positioning sensor, and its coming up camshaft positioning sensor. if so do a test on the ICM. if you are getting a crank sensor code and you don't feel like pulling the damn thing out to have it tested, there is a simple test in the Hayes manual for our cars to do with a DMM "digital multi meter".

slammedsl1
6th Planet Addict

by slammedsl1 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:06 am
Bank 1 might have something to do with the injectors??

dazz
6th Planet Addict

by dazz » Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:48 pm
yeah that would have been me...

how many kms do you have on your car?

from what ive read, sleepy is right... there is no cam sensor... the engine creates a fake signal from the 4th cylinder... or something like that... the fix has supposedly been with the ignition coils... could be corrosion on the ground contact...

i cleaned mine up and started up my car this morning and got the light back on within minutes... but it could be the egr again...

the only odd thing ive noticed on my car is that the light will come on and half the time the light will have shut off like 10 minutes later when i check... weird...

our year car uses an electric egr right? so the only fix is to get a new one (cant clean it)?

jaxon

by jaxon » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:53 pm
yeah itS A 1999 with 94,000km my dad is getting a new car so he's giving it to me when it comes in. But yeah that's why i'm trying to figure these engine codes out so we can get it fixed up for when he gets his HHR. But yeah its been a pretty good car, I only have to replace a light in the odometer and the light behind me button for the A/C

niteshooter

by niteshooter » Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:04 pm
Yeah the crank position sensor is pretty much covered. Just replace it.

The 401 is a dirty EGR valve, I get this a lot on our 99 and 00 SL1 and 2's. Usually you can clean them and that will stop the SES lights being set.

Our 99 just failed it's drive clean again! This time we had it tested and they show that the EGR is defective, this is a brand new unit out of Mark's Bug Barn. It was a lot cheaper than the dealer but if it's NFG what's the point!

Jer the car runs GREAT otherwise so I'm going to have to call Woodbridge and see what his price is on a factory EGR....

Kevin

jaxon

by jaxon » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:55 pm
what is the best way to clean the EGR? Any suggestions. Brake Cleaner or throttle body cleaner?

viperssaturn

by viperssaturn » Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:00 pm
Change your sensor...both of them with new ones. The bank 1 error is for the C.P.S. Change it and the error code will go away. Kate's car had the same errors when we changed her sensor.

PurpleRain
6th Planet Addict
by PurpleRain » Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:39 pm
Ok, bringing up an old thread.... while switching cars in the driveway tonight, my ses light came on, so we put the code reader on it and i got a P0341. That part isn't a big deal, i can change the sensor. BUT, I just changed the same sensor about a year to year and a half ago. Is there a reason that this sensor could be going on me? Something else wrong??? Has anyone had it go that soon on them?

97SaturnSC2-Turbo
6th Planet Addict
by 97SaturnSC2-Turbo » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:25 am
The saturns don't have camshaft position sensor, there is some sensing method to the coil firing.

It could be a bad coil pack, bad ignition module, or an aftermarket coil pack can cause it as well.

Kevin
20 posts Page 1 of 2
kuchnie na wymiar radomsko