Happy new years ... belated .. and some news on bots

Archived Admin Announcements
7 posts Page 1 of 1
Slayer
O6P Staff

by Slayer » Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:54 am
Hello all,

i havent been around in the past couple of weeks, but when i went to my other site today i was surprised to see that about 15 bots had signed up there, i have purged all those bogus accounts and will not have to take more measures on stopping them, when i find a new way to detur the bots i will implement it on this site to keep them out. i thought i had a way to do it, but they have found a way around the system that was put into place. Anyways have a good year and i'll continue to keep the site running without spam.
Last edited by Slayer on Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Viperoni
onenut

by Viperoni » Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:53 pm
Ken, why don't you use that system where a person has to enter a sequence of numbers or letters during registration? You know the hard to read ones with lines through them and stuff.
I dunno how effective it is, but it seems like a good idea?

Slayer
O6P Staff

by Slayer » Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:35 pm
that system is in effect here. but bots can get around that somehow
plus not all bots are automated.. some poeple still signup for the accounts and verify them before they send the bot loose on the sites. currently i have the registration page changed .. default the URL is something liek
... /profile.php?mode=register&agreed=true

therefore automated bots just enter that URL into their software and automatically get the agreed page and are then auto-entering their info to the profiles... i have changed this site and mine so that the url is profile.php?mode=register&agreed= (users IP addressed md5 hashed) therefore if the users IP does NOT match that of the person clicking the link it wont work, and they cannot auto-generate that registratino page anymore they actually have to click the "I AGREE TO THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS & AND I'M OVER 13 YEARS OLD" link

simple but prooved to be effective until this new year... then many mots got around it at my main site.. anyways no biggie i havent seen any here yet.. so we're good for now it doesnt take much to delete and ban that bots IP

rmorris003
6th Planet Addict

by rmorris003 » Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:49 pm
ya we all hate spam but nobody can stop it untill bush bans it lol

Slayer
O6P Staff

by Slayer » Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:39 pm
rmorris003 wrote:ya we all hate spam but nobody can stop it untill bush bans it lol

that wont stop it lol no way it can really be controlled.. its already not allowed on most servers / isps.. its up to peopel to report it and the isps / servers to stop it, its a big job, alls we can do it not help it out

gord888

by gord888 » Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:01 am
Slayer wrote:that system is in effect here. but bots can get around that somehow

you can try the "better captcha" mod for phpbb.. it works pretty well, and takes about 1 minute to install. the stock captcha that is integrated into phpbb is complete garbage.

Slayer
O6P Staff

by Slayer » Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:16 pm
i'll look ino that and see what it does.
7 posts Page 1 of 1
kuchnie na wymiar radomsko