Post your How to's and any pics of any projects your doing
10 posts Page 1 of 1
coppertop_01
Crazy Saturn Mofo

by coppertop_01 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:06 pm
Todo this you will need to read the Fibreglassing DIY article

Materials

1. You will need all the items for fibreglassing, listed in the DIY article
2. Also you will need a foam block, one for doing flower arrangements, found at Micheals, or any other craft store
3. A gauge todo the sizing
4. Bondo
5. Various sandpaper (36, 50, 80, 120, 240, 55, 1000grits)
6. 2" holesaw
7. Drill

DO ALL FIBREGLASSING OUTSIDE, OR IN A WELL VENTILATED AREA

Keep in mind, fibreglassing is EXTREMELY messy, so anything you use, make sure it isn't something you will need later, or your g/f's stuff, or parents, or good stuff, cause you will destroy it.

Method

There are other ways todo this, but I found this way to work the best, and fastest.

I started out by using a knife, and scraper to design the intended pod out of the foam block. Use the gauge to make sure the design is big enough to fit the gauge when you are done. The foam is EXTREMELY easy to screw up, so take your time.

When you have the design that you want, smooth out the edges, and test fit the foam, checking for visability, and size.

Now it is time to fibreglass, this is where the specific flower arangement foam works best. All styrafoams melt when polyester resin is used, but this foam doesn't. So mix yourself up a batch of resin with hardener. Don't use mat glass just yet, coat the pod with the resin, and let it harden.

Once hard, time to add the glass. But you will need to make the 1 ounce mat glass thinner.....tear it up the middle, into 1/2 ounce mat, this will make it easier to work with on such a small object.

Mix yourself a second batch of resin with hardener. Cut the mat into 2"x2" squares, maybe even 1"x1" squares depending on how tight the pod is. Soak the mat glass with the resin, and put it on the outside of the foam block, doing one piece at a time. Make sure that pieces overlap alittle bit, at least 1/4".

Once you get a full coating on the unit, put a second one on. Let this harden. Before it gets too hard, trim the outside overhanging pieces of glass mat with a knife, or scissors. Or just let it harden, and trim it later.

Now that it is hard, the easy part is coming, take a spoon, and scrap out all the foam from the glass. When it is all out, use rough grit sandpaper to clear out what the spoon didn't.

Mix yourself the last batch of resin with hardener. Cut more pieces of mat, but use 1 ounce, don't tear it up. Now put this inside the unit, this is what is going to make the unit strong. Let this harden. Now you are going to have to trim the unit, a jigsaw, grinder, ect can be used.

Here is where your arm is going to get sore. Use coarse grit sandpaper on the outside to clean up all the rough edges. Mix up the Bondo, and spread a thin amount to the outside. Sand, add more bondo, sand, more bondo, ect, ect untill the unit is smooth and ready for paint.

Once done, cut the hole for the Gauges, I use a 2" hole saw in a drill todo that.

Have fun with it.

Jer

Slayer
O6P Staff

by Slayer » Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:05 pm
I have NOT tried this yet, but to make it a little easier to speead the bondo ( or FG filler) i read this technique.

Mix your filler as normal, and mix some FG resin and hardner as usual (5:1 ratio, then mix them together) it'll make it liek a paste you can brush on...

as mentioned in this article
http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/for ... 74519&PN=1

anyways thast what i read, i'll be trying it out on my sub enclosure when i build it

coppertop_01
Crazy Saturn Mofo

by coppertop_01 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:42 pm
Yeah I've seen that done, but IMO on a gauge pod, that kinda bondo'ing is tooooooo thick for such a small piece. But people can try it, I just find several small layers to be quicker, and sanding each layer goes very quick.

Jer

97SaturnSC2-Turbo
6th Planet Addict
by 97SaturnSC2-Turbo » Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:40 pm
Reminds me, Jer did you ever do anything with my A-Piller from my turbo car?

Kevin

coppertop_01
Crazy Saturn Mofo

by coppertop_01 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:23 pm
I still have it, and its still on my list of todo's...............thats a million miles long..........lol

Jer

BAD4U
Post Whore
by BAD4U » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:22 pm
:? :? :? :? :?

slammedsl1
6th Planet Addict

by slammedsl1 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:20 am
what the hell Johnny lol

OOOLD!

BAD4U
Post Whore
by BAD4U » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:13 pm
slammedsl1 wrote:what the hell Johnny lol

OOOLD!

LMMFAO!!!!!!!

no I just don't get this article, i want to make a gauge pod for my steering column, kindda like jers,
I think it needs step by step pictures.

slammedsl1
6th Planet Addict

by slammedsl1 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:02 am
BAD4U wrote:

OOOLD!

LMMFAO!!!!!!!

no I just don't get this article, i want to make a gauge pod for my steering column, kindda like jers,

Don't worry man, I'll hold you hand :roll: :lol:

Dude, I'm getting my wb02 gauge in the mail in a week or so, we should get together and make 'em! Sweeet!

BAD4U
Post Whore
by BAD4U » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:19 pm
slammedsl1 wrote:
BAD4U wrote:

OOOLD!

LMMFAO!!!!!!!

Don't worry man, I'll hold you hand :roll: :lol:

Dude, I'm getting my wb02 gauge in the mail in a week or so, we should get together and make 'em! Sweeet!

Fine by me. :)
10 posts Page 1 of 1
kuchnie na wymiar radomsko