Custom Tail light painting (removing the orange)

How to's and Custum Mods
Post your How to's and any pics of any projects your doing
17 posts Page 1 of 2
Slayer
O6P Staff

by Slayer » Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:30 pm
Ok, on my MX6 I decided to paint them and remove that orange area.
This should work on most cars, just make sure you examine your tail
lights carefully and decide what has to be painted and what doesnt
(eg: center peices on the trunk cant be ignored) they just wouldnt look right ;)

Supplies Needed

Candy Apple red spray paint Pics #2 (available at most hobby shops & Walmart)
Clear Coat (Optional - Will make the paint last longer without fading)
Greese and Wax Remover (Or any other cleaning agent, Rubbing Alcohol etc.)

Tools Needed

Varies by Vehicle (just remove your tail lights) on the MX6 there is just 1 screw holding them in

Directions

Step 1 : Remove your Tail lights
Step 2 : Clean off all the dirt, and road grime
Step 3 : Mask Off the areas you DON'T want painted ie: Reverse ligths, Logos etc
Step 4 : Clean them again with Greese and Wax Remover, or Alcohol
(this removed all the oil from your skin so dont touch the area to be painted again)
This is optional : The guy at the hobby shop said that for the paint to flow a little better,
to get a cup of really hot tap water, so hot that you cant touch it (NO DONT BOIL IT)
and put the can of paint in for 60 seconds then paint - be sure to dry the can after so
you dont drip on your lights
Step 5 : Start painting, in thin overlapping passes, there is no real set number of coats to
put on, its how red you want the lights i used up the can on both lights (small can)
I have heard that 3 coats is enough to get rid of the orange, but i wanted them to look
just like the car colour, no hint of orange what so ever
Step 6 : Adding the clear coat. Again this is optional, but it protects the paint from the sun,
it wont fade or discolour as quickly... and the best part.. you can just wax your tails ;)
I added about 3 coats of clear
Step 7 : Re-Install your tail lights and admire them.. arent they nice?

P.S. Here's the tails stock, and my car un-kitted :lol:

Sarah didnt take pictures of her car when she did this mod, so you have to live with mx6 tail light pics sorry
Last edited by Slayer on Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

coppertop_01
Crazy Saturn Mofo

by coppertop_01 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:39 pm
I believe that VHT also makes the red tailight colour

Slayer
O6P Staff

by Slayer » Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:16 pm
i just checked out thier website, they dont have anythign listed there. It has to be a Candy paint, so that the reflectors still work, and the lights still shine through...

also, For what its worth, Walmart sells the exact same paint as the hobby shows, but at like half the price... i'll update my original post.

subliminal64
Post Whore

by subliminal64 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:37 pm

Canadian Tire and Wal-Mart sell a product called "Stained Glass Coating" by Crown. Prolly the same idea, costs around $4.

Also, I find the clear coat from Crappy Tire to be a little dull. And it definetly does not stay shinny for long. I used it in my interior the first time around and was VERY dissapointed. But, the only alternative is buying clear coat and activator from an auto paint shop. Not that expensive, but you need a spray gun.

coppertop_01
Crazy Saturn Mofo

by coppertop_01 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:47 pm
The stained glass stuff was the stuff that I thought off.....thought it was VHT, no biggie......

Slayer
O6P Staff

by Slayer » Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:07 pm
I used Motormaster clear coat, and it works fine on all my projects... but i dont go lightly on the clear, useually 3+ coats

Viperoni
onenut

by Viperoni » Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:16 pm
I find Minwax polyurethane clear has an excellent applicator that lets you get it on thick and very uniformly... but it's ~$9 a can @ HD, and I'm not 100% sure if it can handle the temperatures/chemicals like the car clear can.

subliminal64
Post Whore

by subliminal64 » Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:05 am

The stuff from crappy tire is $9.99 a can? I used I think 4 coats on the doors. In 3 months it started to wear down. I don't know if I'd trust it on the exterior. Can anyone speak from experience?

viperssaturn

by viperssaturn » Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:56 pm
Viperoni wrote:I find Minwax polyurethane clear has an excellent applicator that lets you get it on thick and very uniformly... but it's ~$9 a can @ HD, and I'm not 100% sure if it can handle the temperatures/chemicals like the car clear can.

There is no such thing as a polyurethane clear. Lacquers are clear and poly's yellow. All poly "clears" yellow. Use an automotive clear. Go to Sherwin-Williams and buy it!

rshackelferd
6th Planet Addict
by rshackelferd » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:28 pm
i got a white sc1 if i painted the middle part white and then did the tails black you think that would look ok
and what can i use to fill in the emblems ???

viperssaturn

by viperssaturn » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:54 am
Order some black emblems from our sponsor StreetDesignAuto.com :wink: (shameless plug for our friends south of the border) They are the cheapest place to buy them and they look awesome.
Slayer
O6P Staff

by Slayer » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:15 am
Bump for Alex
smurfdude50
6th Planet Addict
by smurfdude50 » Tue May 03, 2011 1:35 pm
Bump again, but we need pics!
GHOSTRYDER
6th Planet Addict

by GHOSTRYDER » Tue May 03, 2011 7:13 pm
Super !!! I am heading out of town this weekend but after that, when I get back I plan on doing this. Thanks for the thread bump kenny.
smurfdude50
6th Planet Addict
by smurfdude50 » Wed May 04, 2011 1:30 pm
GHOSTRYDER wrote:Super !!! I am heading out of town this weekend but after that, when I get back I plan on doing this. Thanks for the thread bump kenny.

I am too, we'll see how it goes. Never seen any, personally, 2nd gen SL2 tails done before.
17 posts Page 1 of 2
kuchnie na wymiar radomsko