2002 leaking rad.

A Place for Saturn Discussion
10 posts Page 1 of 1
GHOSTRYDER
6th Planet Addict

by GHOSTRYDER » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:12 pm
Hey guys, im just putting this post up now well I still remember. Tomorrow I will be fixing my rad. I know I have talked to a lot of people who own an S series and have yet to find a solutions to their leaking rad problem. Well I moved up to the woodstock area and my dad doesnt believe in buying new so he created a simple and easy fix solutions for them. And before anyone asks, yes this works, I literally have sat in the car with this patch and tried running it hot (we have a toggle switch controlling the idle fan in one of our saturns and it has the patch, I sat in a parking lot for about 2 hours having that baby warm up, driving it, everything.) it has now been about a month since the patch and no leak! I have been checking for a week now and still no leak. Sadly I didn't make a video or pictures so im hoping to have pictures and instructions up tomorrow afternoon or later that night to let people do it themself.

List of items needed:
You will need a small sheet of aluminum
Pop rivets and riveter.
Some kind of sander.

PIctures and step by step coming up next, hope this benefits people out there! Also if you have any questions or concerns you can email me on my personal email(goes to my blackberry) and I will answer as fast as I can.

Cheers!
GhostRyder(not sarah lol)
Slayer
O6P Staff

by Slayer » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:38 pm
Yea please take pics I have a small leak. Not sure if this will benefit me or not but I'd like to see it. My hole is soo small I could probably seal it with a drop of glue. It just let's steam out

But I'm interested in seeing this
GHOSTRYDER
6th Planet Addict

by GHOSTRYDER » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:51 pm
Its the only fix I have ever seen work. I had steve patch a rad and it didnt do crap :( his patched sucked hahahahaa. Sorry steve :P . Oh note, forgot to mention you will need that red gasket stuff, the high heat. Hopefully people benefit from this.
viperssaturn

by viperssaturn » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:39 pm
I've plugged a rad with a shaker full of ground black pepper before and it worked beautifully.
GHOSTRYDER
6th Planet Addict

by GHOSTRYDER » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:52 pm
hahaha yeah I did that once with my first car, once again my dad told me to do it and at first I thought he was lying until I noticed it worked. This is more a less for the huge cracks people have gotten on there rads. My dad had the same issue me and steve had, we got one hell of a crack down our rad on the side right in front of the air box. Mine pretty much would empty itself in a day of driving to work and back home.
GHOSTRYDER
6th Planet Addict

by GHOSTRYDER » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:48 pm
Alright guys, so I don't have the full fix pictures yet but I do have about half of it done now so I will upload those. I will try my best to be clear and quick with the rest of the photo's as well as with how and what we did with photos of what I have done now.

Step one: with my rad someone already tried to patch it so thats why its such a mess. so first thing you have to do it figure out (roughly) where your crack is on the rad. Next part of this is your going to have to bring down the black reinforcement bars down to where the tank is. We used a dremel tool to sand our's down until we felt it was even:
Step 1.jpg
Step 1.jpg (422.28 KiB) Viewed 2356 times

Thats what it looked like first. this is what we got it down too:
Step 2.jpg
Step 2.jpg (360.22 KiB) Viewed 2356 times

Step two: With rough sand paper we went over the area again until we got a really really rough texture( something for the red silicone to hold too, as well when building a plate, the same idea) over the area where the crack is as well as the surrounding area. The rougher the better:
Step 3.jpg
Step 3.jpg (204.82 KiB) Viewed 2356 times

Step 3: We went and used a piece of aluminum for the patch and that's what we recommend. You will want to measure and make sure you cover as much area as you can. Mine measured out to be 3 inch's x 2 inch's, I wouldn't recommend using these measurements but just to give you an idea of area I coverd. Same idea as the rad, we went and took rough rough sand paper to the plate and made it as textured as we could so the red silicone had something to grab:
Step 4.jpg
Step 4.jpg (172.6 KiB) Viewed 2356 times

Step 4: We set the plate on the rad and started drilling our holes for the rivets. We drilled six rivets, 3 on each side of the plate(Note, make sure you use water rivets or this will not work.) along side of the crack. We drilled a top one and a bottom one first so we could place rivets in to hold the plate in place.
Step5.jpg
Step5.jpg (111.93 KiB) Viewed 2343 times

Step five: after drilling your holes threw the rad as well as the plate, you can check to make sure they all fit(we did) and then remove the plate off the rad and clean both area's as clean as you can. We used paint thinner to clean it. Then the next is loading the rad up with silicone:
Step 5.5.jpg
Step 5.5.jpg (522.86 KiB) Viewed 2343 times

Step 6.jpg
Step 6.jpg (108.18 KiB) Viewed 2343 times

Step six: Rivet the plate tightly to the rad. We did corner to corner. After that, we suggest just running silicone over the top as well, to almost create a coat over the whole thing. Let it sit for 24 hours and see how it turns out, I will let you know how my hold's up in a couple weeks, we are certain for this to work as it has before on another vehicle. Anyways, all credit goes to my dad for this, I didn't find the solution he did, I'm just the saturn guy putting it up for everyone else to maybe use if needed. hope this helps a few people out there!

Cheers.

If you have any questions about the steps or anything that you are concerned about, you can email me:

Alexboissonneau@rocketmail.com

I will try to be as fast as I can with an email back to you.
GHOSTRYDER
6th Planet Addict

by GHOSTRYDER » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:01 pm
There is the whole thing, Sorry about it saying only half done at the beginning I didn't actually read my post before editing it haha. So dumb I be some days.
GHOSTRYDER
6th Planet Addict

by GHOSTRYDER » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:51 pm
Alright guys so now this is 2 for 2. We have done this on 2 rads now and they both have not leaked a drop and I just got back letting my car idle for an hour and a half. So both have worked fine and dandy, hoping someone else can use this solution. If you want to see the actual patch installed in the car, shoot me an email and maybe we can meet up for a coffee and I can give more info.

Cheers.
alexboissonneau@hotmail.ca
andrew88
Our Fearless Leader

by andrew88 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:40 pm
Nice job! Hein made some plastic pieces with similar idea, but a plastic epoxy instead of rivets. It is sad that even the aftermarkets do not seem to last either.
GHOSTRYDER
6th Planet Addict

by GHOSTRYDER » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:45 pm
Yeah I once again take no credit, my dad has a shop behind his house and got super pissed with his 2001 and made this patch idea. Then when I moved up to woodstock we did this patch to mine. Been probably a week now and no leak. The thing runs perfectly normal too! Hes a crafty french man! :D . But if anyone needs help with it, im willing to travel(within reason) to come help and shoot the wind with saturn fans). The best was getting my Etest today and the one mechanic saw the contraption and asked me about it, I explained what it was for and he was shocked someone actually did this to a rad. Made my day. haha.
10 posts Page 1 of 1
kuchnie na wymiar radomsko