Alright guys, so I don't have the full fix pictures yet but I do have about half of it done now so I will upload those. I will try my best to be clear and quick with the rest of the photo's as well as with how and what we did with photos of what I have done now.
Step one: with my rad someone already tried to patch it so thats why its such a mess. so first thing you have to do it figure out (roughly) where your crack is on the rad. Next part of this is your going to have to bring down the black reinforcement bars down to where the tank is. We used a dremel tool to sand our's down until we felt it was even:
Thats what it looked like first. this is what we got it down too:
Step two: With rough sand paper we went over the area again until we got a really really rough texture( something for the red silicone to hold too, as well when building a plate, the same idea) over the area where the crack is as well as the surrounding area. The rougher the better:
Step 3: We went and used a piece of aluminum for the patch and that's what we recommend. You will want to measure and make sure you cover as much area as you can. Mine measured out to be 3 inch's x 2 inch's, I wouldn't recommend using these measurements but just to give you an idea of area I coverd. Same idea as the rad, we went and took rough rough sand paper to the plate and made it as textured as we could so the red silicone had something to grab:
Step 4: We set the plate on the rad and started drilling our holes for the rivets. We drilled six rivets, 3 on each side of the plate(Note, make sure you use water rivets or this will not work.) along side of the crack. We drilled a top one and a bottom one first so we could place rivets in to hold the plate in place.
Step five: after drilling your holes threw the rad as well as the plate, you can check to make sure they all fit(we did) and then remove the plate off the rad and clean both area's as clean as you can. We used paint thinner to clean it. Then the next is loading the rad up with silicone:
Step six: Rivet the plate tightly to the rad. We did corner to corner. After that, we suggest just running silicone over the top as well, to almost create a coat over the whole thing. Let it sit for 24 hours and see how it turns out, I will let you know how my hold's up in a couple weeks, we are certain for this to work as it has before on another vehicle. Anyways, all credit goes to my dad for this, I didn't find the solution he did, I'm just the saturn guy putting it up for everyone else to maybe use if needed. hope this helps a few people out there!
If you have any questions about the steps or anything that you are concerned about, you can email me:Alexboissonneau@rocketmail.com
I will try to be as fast as I can with an email back to you.