Oh boy... here we go

A Place for Saturn Discussion
8 posts Page 1 of 1
Frostman
6th Planet Addict

by Frostman » Sat May 29, 2010 6:31 pm
Well, I worked nights last night and got thinking... It's going to cost a bit of money to get my 93 SL1 on the road. Needs a windshield, I know there is some rust build up in the rear end. Glass all around is a bit beaten up, the rear window frame rails are rotting, needs a paint job. Hoods all dented from when a friend and my brother decided to have wrestle mania on it. AC has been deleted and I was thinking about replacing it... more $$$ Only up side on it is, I know the car and the interior is in really good shape.

I was thinking of getting a newer SC2! Has a DOHC in it all ready and a five speed, look better and it will last me long than my 93. I know the AMR's I just bought will fit as well as brakes, energy poly kit, engine mounts, dog bones and everything else. Only thing that will be a loss is the scrap yard engine I got last year, which is less than the windshield and will be an extra block to play with. The only concern I have is NOT getting one that has those stupid air pumps and the one that has the plastic intake manifold. And a head that will fit the 92 header I have too.

So given that information, what year would be the best? I seems I will be looking for something in the 97-99 range. I still want to use the other transmission from my other car, it's only has a few thousand on a fresh rebuild and while it's out, I can drop the LSD I found down in the states.

Thoughts opinions comments suggestions?

Nick

PS The 93 owes me and my family nothing. It took a shit kicking and was driven everywhere. I did put a lot of time and money into it, but I have to be realistic. I wanted to keep it because of how much time I have I have put into it, but I want something that I can keep for a while and not been too worried about how long it's going to last. I know even with a newer car it's still going to cost money, but it just seems the older one will be most than it's worth in the long run. And I don't want to get away from Saturns I love them and want to have some fun with them still, just something that I am going to be really happy with, especially with all the suspension/rims/tires toys I got.

PSS Is this anyone on here?

http://hamilton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicl ... Z207594505
andrew88
Our Fearless Leader

by andrew88 » Sat May 29, 2010 9:33 pm
97-98.5 lol, its a weird time but at some point through the end of the 98 model year production it changes to the 9 bolt. Now the air pump did not start till 01. so the 98.5-00 have no air pump, but shitty head. Not sure when the plastic intakes came in I think it was in 99. So like .5 of a year with the alum intakes its kinda weird.
For a nice daily you could get a 00 (no air pump but 3rd gen engine) and do a 5 bolt swap. Then you have the longer rod and tie plate. 3rd gen bottom end plus 2nd gen top end = 133hp as per Deebs.
If your thinking you will be having a loss by not using the motor you got last year is because of egr, you could get an adapter plate or slot the egr lol.
Great thing about the Saturns, when you put time, money and parts into them when you go to your next saturn you just take all the goodies with you! gotta love our lego like cars.
Frostman
6th Planet Addict

by Frostman » Sat May 29, 2010 9:45 pm
The EGR wasn't bothering me nearly as much as I don't have a running engine that I know works well yet. I am getting my license next week and don't want to be doing to much screwing around, I want to get out to cruising with you guys and having some fun summer.

My reasoning is simply there is too much to switch over from a TBI to a MPFI engine to be worth it for me in the long run. Plus all of the other items stated above. Fuel pump, throttle cable, cluster, ECU all that stuff. And The other reason why I stuck with 2nd gen coupe was I was reading on of the swap guides and it was talking about a self adjusting clutch that doesn't self adjust very well... I like a good clutch, I am not abusive, but I use it.

And like you stated Andrew, these are lego cars. Almost everything I have bought for it will fit a newer style car. And I love it and I think that is another huge factor to why I was thinking of changing. I will have to find some more write ups I had on my computer to do some more match making with head/block styles like you were mentioning.
andrew88
Our Fearless Leader

by andrew88 » Sat May 29, 2010 9:51 pm
Ya the 3rd gens have shitty clutches, but can be converted to 1st/2nd gen.
Slayer
O6P Staff

by Slayer » Sun May 30, 2010 9:33 am
too bad you changed your mind soo quick, i just sold my 98 SC2 for $1000 (he already started making payments) lol so i know he's serious

there is a 3rd gen for sale at kelly cycle on upper wellington and hester, dont know the price, but hoenstly keep looking you'll find a cheap one!!! i got 2 saturns for $360 total price) <-- yes for 2 cars lol

personally i like second/third gen coupes best for styling, but for the motors your talking about you want 97-99.5 as andrew said..

but i have to ask, whats so bad abotu the air pumps?
andrew88
Our Fearless Leader

by andrew88 » Sun May 30, 2010 1:07 pm
From a modding point of view the air pumps are a bit of a pita. Plus it would be a little epic to keep the air pump and ditch the 9 bolt head.
viperssaturn

by viperssaturn » Sun May 30, 2010 5:38 pm
The air pump isnt bad even for modding as you witnessed with my header install Kenny. You just have to grind out a channel n the back of the header flange to have it hooked up properly. The only issue with the air systems in general and this goes for all GM's is that the check valves sto working properly due to poor design, they let water into the pump itself which freezes in the winter and then when the pump tries to work, it goes for a shit cause it is frozen. Its a pain in the ass. I would say to go find yourself an Ion Redline or just a base Ion and start from there if you want to stay with the Saturns. Personally from me, when my Saturn dies or someone buys it, hopefully the ladder so I do not have to keep it till it dies, I wont buy another just because of the hassle finding OEM parts.
Slayer
O6P Staff

by Slayer » Sun May 30, 2010 8:14 pm
yeah running the new channels wasnt all that bad, and would have been alot easier with the correct tools (prehaps a milling machine) haha ya right, but we got the job done.

honestly i dont see anything wrong with the third gen, i like the styling a little better too..

there is a redline for sale on upper wellington if interested.. im sure it was a redline (its for sale near hester as well) beside the welding school Sarah thinks she saw a SC when the hoods were all opened.

also, a regular ION modded correctly can be really nice as well...

although, i see the reasoning behind buying an S series again considering you have all the parts already ;)
8 posts Page 1 of 1
kuchnie na wymiar radomsko