need help with a 97 sl1 5 speed

A Place for Saturn Discussion
6 posts Page 1 of 1
wgnbrnrinc

by wgnbrnrinc » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:12 pm
hey guys im new to this site and recently bought my first saturn after owning a P.O.S crown Vic..

ok the first problem: when the car is cold i can fly threw the gears no problem but as soon as the car get warm say 5 min down the road i have to litterally fight to put the damn thing in to 1st second and third but 4th and 5th i have no problems... ive checked linkage and fluid and it all seems fine,,,

second problem : when the engine hits 2500rpm to about 3500 rpm i get a slight rattle coming from the top left of the head.. could it be the lifters need replacing or something more serious?

third problem: the idiot who owned it before me hacked off the stock wiring harness for the stereo so i went out and got a new one and have everything hooked back together properly according to the haynes manual but i have no display in the deck and the only way there is power to the deck is i have to have the car running... also the guy had 2 wires from the stereo hooked directly to the fuse panel....

any help would be greatly appreciated cause i really dont want to part out or scrap my tupperware car LMAO j/k

i only paid 400 for the car but ive already put about 500 into it in parts to get it ready for the road im to the point where if i cant get the problems fixed im gonna part the thing out and save up for a ion or a newer sl
viperssaturn

by viperssaturn » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:31 pm
wgnbrnrinc wrote:hey guys im new to this site and recently bought my first saturn after owning a P.O.S crown Vic..

ok the first problem: when the car is cold i can fly threw the gears no problem but as soon as the car get warm say 5 min down the road i have to litterally fight to put the damn thing in to 1st second and third but 4th and 5th i have no problems... ive checked linkage and fluid and it all seems fine,,,

Is the shifter springing back into neutral ok when it warms up? I had this problem in the past and it was the spring in the shifter itself that was the problem. When the car warmed, so did the console and presumably the spring in the shifter and when i changed the shifter, it went away. Im uncertain on this next one but maybe someone else will chime in when I say that maybe its your release bearing!?!?!?! Since we have already established that Rudy knows more about trannies (or blowing them) than anyone else, I will let him chime in on this.

second problem : when the engine hits 2500rpm to about 3500 rpm i get a slight rattle coming from the top left of the head.. could it be the lifters need replacing or something more serious?

Rattles are normal in Saturns, even from the engine compartment. Maybe post a video of the noise and see if anyone can help you. Or find someone close to you and ask them to take a listen.

third problem: the idiot who owned it before me hacked off the stock wiring harness for the stereo so i went out and got a new one and have everything hooked back together properly according to the haynes manual but i have no display in the deck and the only way there is power to the deck is i have to have the car running... also the guy had 2 wires from the stereo hooked directly to the fuse panel....

The head unit is not wired properly. There are two wires that connect the head unit to the ignition and one is for constant power and ones is for accessory power. Check your wiring on the head unit and make sure everything is wired properly.

any help would be greatly appreciated cause i really dont want to part out or scrap my tupperware car LMAO j/k

i only paid 400 for the car but ive already put about 500 into it in parts to get it ready for the road im to the point where if i cant get the problems fixed im gonna part the thing out and save up for a ion or a newer sl

Hope all this helps!!

Jon

wgnbrnrinc

by wgnbrnrinc » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:36 pm
ya it springs back fine its just going into gear i pretty much have to force it in

im going to check in to the stereo problems and mess around with the wiring abit once i get the ambition to sit in a cold car in a cold garage lol

thanks for the help

andrew88
Our Fearless Leader

by andrew88 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:51 pm
So when the car is off you car go into any gear no problem? One thing to try is when you cannot get it into gear pump the clutch pedal a few times. If it gets easier to get into gear that indicates weak hydros which are an easy fix. When you checked the linkage did you look at each end (including on the shifter itself) for play? They love to wear out.

-Andrew

wgnbrnrinc

by wgnbrnrinc » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:52 pm
thanks guys got the shifting problem fixed

andrew88
Our Fearless Leader

by andrew88 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:40 pm
What did it end up being?
6 posts Page 1 of 1
kuchnie na wymiar radomsko