New easy idea for bot blocking.

Site Comments and Suggestions are to be posted here
11 posts Page 1 of 1
92sc2
6th Planet Addict
by 92sc2 » Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:42 am
I've been seeing a trend lately with forum bots atleast the type that are attacking us. They tend to normally seek out Announcement sub forums, and we've actually been seeing that happening daily here. One easy solution would be to lock the "Admin Announcements" sub forum so that only admins can post there. For topics where feedback is welcomed, a discussion thread can be opened in the general discussion sub forum. I don't know how well this will work, but it seems worth a shot.

viperssaturn

by viperssaturn » Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:50 am
Yeah it may be worth a shot but again..you see one post by a bot and post about it but the reality is that two bots out of the last 20-30 that I have deleted have actually posted something. Kenny is doing all he can and so are we but this may be another avenue to explore. Thanks for the heads up.

PurpleRain
6th Planet Addict
by PurpleRain » Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:53 am
I thought they attack the first open forum... so if you lock the admin... wont they just go to the General forum???

92sc2
6th Planet Addict
by 92sc2 » Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:41 pm
I know you guys are doing alot Jon, I was just trying to be helpful, no offense intended.

viperssaturn

by viperssaturn » Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:18 pm
Yeah I know...none taken don't worry 'bout it!!!

Slayer
O6P Staff

by Slayer » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:16 pm
The Admin forum is locked so only Admin/ Mods can post there... However, anyone can REPLY to a post... and as Purplerain said, they seek out the first available forum, they would just move on to the next forum...

were at a point with phpBB (the software used on this forum) where its just at the end of its lifes run.. the creators are working on a newer version (phpbb3) aka Olympius, so it seems the Modders are starting to takle making phpbb3 Modifications, so the phpbb2 stuff (version we use) is lacking aftermarket support right now.

and phpbb3 has been around many many years, so the bots have adapted very very well and have found many ways aroudn any features that are added..

However, your feed back is welcomed, i dnot want you to think that were just blowing by your suggestion.. its just not worth teh hassle to completly lock down the forum, cause it'll just be posted in the general forum next time

rmorris003
6th Planet Addict

by rmorris003 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:36 pm
we now have tons of bots here just look at the last 2 pages of members and since when did we jump to 160 plus of real people

viperssaturn

by viperssaturn » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:19 pm
Haha, yeah I haven't been around as much lately guys. Sorry! Had a family emergency this week and I may not be around much in the next week or so either. I have been deleting them when I can but it hasn't been my first priority this week.

Slayer
O6P Staff

by Slayer » Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:05 pm
i was deleteing the ones i KNEW were bots when jon was away, i would just like to point out, that bots that just sit int he memberlist, are dormant, and dont pose a threat around here till they post something. And i was deleteing the posts as well.

there's no real 100% wayt o tell if an account is a bot or a non posting user if their name is vauge, and they dont put a URL or bogus Email IF it woudl make you guys feel better, i beleive there is a mod i can add to the board to not allow you to see the users if they have not Activeated their account. But alot of Bots will activate rigth away, and not nessasarily post...

rmorris003
6th Planet Addict

by rmorris003 » Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:54 pm
wow 30+ bots on the site by looking at the www addresses just look at pages 3 and 4

sean even has them flooding his comments section on his garage

viperssaturn

by viperssaturn » Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:58 pm
Like we have said before, there is no need to worry yourselves about bots on the user list pages. They are cleaned twice a week. Other than Seans comments section, they are not posting. Nothing will come of them being here. They are on EVERY forum. Unless they are deleted twice a day they will be back.
11 posts Page 1 of 1
kuchnie na wymiar radomsko