99 SOHC Engine

General Wanted to by
10 posts Page 1 of 1
PurpleRain
6th Planet Addict
by PurpleRain » Thu May 21, 2009 12:34 pm
Ok.... don't critisize... I have my reasons. As the subject says... 99 SOHC engine.... I want a DIRECT drop in to my car (something that would only take a few hours on a weekend... Jer.... you in??? lol) the lower the kms, the better.... as long as it's in good running shape.... one that's not leaking fluids like a sieve (like my current one)

Thanks!

coppertop_01
Crazy Saturn Mofo

by coppertop_01 » Thu May 21, 2009 12:56 pm
Please tell me you are dropping in a DOHC............I don't want to seem like I am criticizing, but it is well worth the extra work

We could switch it to DOHC in a few hours, really isn't that hard, shit there was a 99 DOHC engine and computer in the wrecker during the all you could haul weekend.

Jer

PurpleRain
6th Planet Addict
by PurpleRain » Thu May 21, 2009 2:41 pm
Eventually....... maybe a DOHC.... right now..... just need the cheapest way to still have a vehicle! :D Basically my engine is dying... head gasket & valve cover are leaking like freaking sieves, I'm going through oil at an INSANE rate.... just need to keep the car running right now (with a new-ish engine)

viperssaturn

by viperssaturn » Thu May 21, 2009 3:18 pm
I would do a DOHC swap if we can keep the cost under $500 for now. The problem is, I want it to be a low km, non-leaking, DOHC if I am to drop it in anytime soon. The other thing is that I would rather drop in a SOHC for now until we can build a proper DOHC with all new internals and external parts. She doesnt plan on selling the car EVER?!?! for sentimental reasons. If anyone has a low km running DOHC with the required harness (if needed) and PCM, let us know.

Viperoni
onenut

by Viperoni » Fri May 22, 2009 12:06 am
Here's some advice: ditch the turd! lol

I agree, wait on building the DOHC motor. $500 won't get you anything but a stock replacement, not worth spending money on that IMO.

But really, I spent $2000 on my motor, and I was barely cracking 150 crank HP.

I might still have a saturn original SOHC valve cover gasket somewhere now that I think about it.

viperssaturn

by viperssaturn » Fri May 22, 2009 12:00 pm
Viperoni wrote:Here's some advice: ditch the turd! lol

I agree, wait on building the DOHC motor. $500 won't get you anything but a stock replacement, not worth spending money on that IMO.

But really, I spent $2000 on my motor, and I was barely cracking 150 crank HP.

I might still have a saturn original SOHC valve cover gasket somewhere now that I think about it.

Reading owns you!!! :wink: What would she ditch it for? Certainly not a Nissan! :P For sentimental reasons, she wont be getting rid of the car at all. It doesnt matter how slow it is. I will buy another car in a year or so but that one is staying. So we look for another engine. A fresh SOHC would do just fine too. She only uses it to boot around the city anyways.

coppertop_01
Crazy Saturn Mofo

by coppertop_01 » Sun May 24, 2009 7:45 am
Unless Mark comes on here (I know he had a could SOHC's) sitting around, I don't know of any other than pulling one from a wrecker, which usually means they are high millage, and something might be wrong with them.

You say the head gasket is leaking, why don't we just replace whats there, and while it is getting worked on clean the crap out of everything.............that way we can also check to see if the head is still good. I dunno if a rebuild would be more advantageous, but might take some of the guess work out of getting another engine.

Jer

viperssaturn

by viperssaturn » Sun May 24, 2009 8:50 am
Do you have a rough idea of how long something like that would take Jer?

coppertop_01
Crazy Saturn Mofo

by coppertop_01 » Sun May 24, 2009 10:04 am
if we did the head gasket while the engine was in the car, probably the good part of several hours. Unless you wanted to remove the engine from the car, and do a complete teardown and rebuild (new rings, maybe bearings, headgasket, intake and exhuast gaskets, plus cleaning 10 yrs of buildup inside the intakes/exhuast/engine) then that would be closer to a 2 day event............I have done that to niteshooters car, used friday night to remove the engine and start stripping it. Then used Sat to rebuild, with new internals, gaskets, clutch etc, its a long day, but it can be done.

Jer

viperssaturn

by viperssaturn » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:50 pm
K guys and gals, crunch time. We weren't looking to put the car back on the road, however, something has come up and we desperately need an engine for this now. 97-99 would do. Jer, would you still be up for helping to rebuild the engine? I have no clue when it comes to reuilding the whole thing but if you are game for this in the next week or two at the latest, I would be willing to go this route instead. Please let me know.
10 posts Page 1 of 1
kuchnie na wymiar radomsko