Sub box

Q&A: Electrical and In Car Entertainment (I.C.E.) Technical Support
17 posts Page 1 of 2
Chaz

by Chaz » Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:17 pm
I have 2 10" subs in a sealed bassworx box, i was just wondering if anyone one knows, would a ported enclosure be better for these subs, i know they dont hit the really low frequency's very good, and whenver there is continuous bass in a song theres a bit of distortion, would a ported box fix this or do i need something else. Also keep in mind im still running my subs off the stock deck, until school ends b/c my parents are still driving the car occasionally and they dont like the aftermarket head units.

PurpleRain
6th Planet Addict
by PurpleRain » Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:57 pm
What kind of subs are they? Do you know any of the specs on them?

sc2racer
our6thplanet.com Owns me
by sc2racer » Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:45 pm
POrted boxes do help subs sound better ! .. Sealed requires a more powerful amp in order to get full potential .. If i were ou and didn'thave a strong amp ...then a ported box would be perfect for you....but what kind of amp do you have as well .? ..

How many watts does it have Peak and RMS .. And like Kate said ..what kind of specs are the subs watts, ohms, dual VC or single VC

subliminal64
Post Whore

by subliminal64 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:56 pm

Ported boxes give off higher volume levels then a sealed box, but the quality isn't as good as a sealed box.

sc2racer
our6thplanet.com Owns me
by sc2racer » Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:04 pm
exactly :D

Chaz

by Chaz » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:35 pm
oh shit sorry i thought i put wat subs they were, any ways its 2 10" infiniti reference subs, and a sony xplod amp, that i got for free brand new and its 800w, i want to get a better amp in the summer when the car is actually mine, as well as a new HU and some performance mods.

rmorris003
6th Planet Addict

by rmorris003 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:36 pm
model numbers

Chaz

by Chaz » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:37 pm
subliminal64 wrote:
Ported boxes give off higher volume levels then a sealed box, but the quality isn't as good as a sealed box.

do you think in my case then i would be better off just buying a more powerful amp and sticking with a sealed box? either way i have to make a new box because i want it to fit in my trunk a bit nicer, and not fly around so much when im driving.

viperssaturn

by viperssaturn » Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:08 pm
The amp you have is most likely a 2 or 4 channel 800 watts peak if it the the xplode. Its probably not enough power for the subs at all. Those subs like to run at 2 ohms I believe and that amp would run at 4 ohms. Just a thought but I would definitely spend the money and get a mono block (single channel) sub amp to power those subs if it isn't a mono already.

sc2racer
our6thplanet.com Owns me
by sc2racer » Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:19 pm
Yuup i agree with Jon ... grab a beefier amp .. stick to the sealed box and the sound quality will be awesome !!!! .. and Jon you're right the infiniti subs run dual VC at 2ohms

Chaz

by Chaz » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:09 pm
thanks guys, yeah the amps a 2 channel amp, what are some suggestions for a solid amp that i wont have to spend a fortune on?

Chaz

by Chaz » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:11 pm
also where is the best place to mount an amp? the guy who installed my subs mounted it on top of my sub box, i thought that was stupid but im new to all this so i really dont know if it makes a difference.

sc2racer
our6thplanet.com Owns me
by sc2racer » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:19 pm
well its not the greatest place to put it ... since if someone wants to steal you system .. then the amp and sub and box are very easy to take from the car .. just chop the wires !

Never upside down as heat needs to escape .. the seat is pretty much the quickest yet the right way to mount an amp if you dont car about cosmetics

my opinion again and its what i do if a customer doesn't have time for anything fancy lol ..

97SaturnSC2-Turbo
6th Planet Addict
by 97SaturnSC2-Turbo » Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:45 am
Best case scenario with Sony amps is that you get half the power they are rated for, and quite often less then that.

Also for the above statements about boxes to be true, they have to be properly sized, and good quality.

An improperly sized sealed box will sound worse then a properly built (for the subs) ported box, and vie versa.

If you are getting someone that really knows how to build a box (do all the calculations and such), you can get a very good sounding ported box.

I used to run a sealed box, but had my friend build me (I forget what its called, 6th order bandpass or something like that, its where the two subs face each other in a push-pull configuration), and the difference was unbelievable.

Not only was it louder, but it hit lower frequencies, and sounded better.

Now in my case the sealed box wasn't that great quality, so I don't know what the comparison would be to a quality sealed box, but the type of box, and more importantly the actual design and build quality of the box can make all the difference to how your subs sound.

Kevin

Chaz

by Chaz » Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:41 pm
Hey this isn't worth making a new thread about, but the guy who installed my subs mounted the amp on top of my box, so if i take the amp off won't the box be fucked because there is little holes in the top of it now? how can i fix that, because i want to a) get a new amp and b)mount it somewhere else. probably the back of the seat.
17 posts Page 1 of 2
kuchnie na wymiar radomsko