I popped my sub too... its been one of those weeks

Q&A: Electrical and In Car Entertainment (I.C.E.) Technical Support
9 posts Page 1 of 1
artsar
6th Planet Addict

by artsar » Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:15 pm
So I blew a voice coil out of my type x. I dunno weither to get it repaired for who knows how much, or get new stuff. Everyone has been giving me an opinion and a few are valid ones and others arn't. I was thinking of either 2 12s or 2 12s or even possibly 1 new 12 again. THe brands I was considering are Alpine(to keep with the brand in the car), JL(seems to be a popular choice) or Clareon(seems to be the new brand). Any suggestions, I have a 1000RMS 2ohm amp so the sub/subs have to work with it. I was thinking about getting more less powerful ones this time, but what does everyone think?

blazinsc1
Post Whore

by blazinsc1 » Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:32 pm
listening to andrews JL set up JL sounds pretty clean if u wanna drop that kinda money!!! i personally run JBL and love the shit!!!! but that wasn't one of ur choices so i dunno i haven't heard much of clarion or alpines shit someone else can probably give u more knowledge but JL sounds pretty clean hearin it!!!

viperssaturn

by viperssaturn » Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:19 pm
The JL's sound nice but are pretty damn expensive for the product. You are really paying for the name as you are with most on the market now. Clarion makes a nice sounding sub as does Alpine and Kicker. I personally run two 10" Pioneer subs with a 600 watt RMS Planet Audio amp and it sounds really good. Really in the end you will make your own decision but dont do it based upon what is popular. Go and listen to everything you can.

scrt69
6th Planet Addict

by scrt69 » Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:27 pm
the basics of what your options are...

jl = CLEAR & loud
alpine = LOUD
clarion= i dunno

artsar
6th Planet Addict

by artsar » Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:57 pm
I think I'm just going to get the 2 JL W3s and get the alpine sub repaired in the fall when I'm at school and don't care about how long it takes, and then I'll have 2 sets and 1 I can abuse and the other will sound and look good

scrt69
6th Planet Addict

by scrt69 » Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:59 pm
isnt the alpine under warranty? thent hey shoudl be fixing it free for you :)
how the heck did you blow the sub man? lol

artsar
6th Planet Addict

by artsar » Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:36 pm
honestly I dunno how or when I blew it. I just ended up testing the ohm load this weekend and one coil is cooked. and the sub is over a year old meaning no more warrantee. I got the sub the day after I got the car, so back in august of 05 (same point that i heard about this club)

sc2racer
our6thplanet.com Owns me
by sc2racer » Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:04 pm
shit happens sometimes ... if you loaded down the sub to run off of an amp at 1ohm .. then the sub probably couldn't of held that much power ... just a thought .. what did you run the sub at ? .. ohms wise

artsar
6th Planet Addict

by artsar » Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:13 pm
after what some of the SPL guys said on the weekend, I have no clue what I was running it at, I thought I had it wired at 4ohms but I'm questioning if I did now. I hate when I break expensive stuff, because its such a hard thing to throw it away, but it feels wrong to spend a fortune to fix a speaker... My non car audio friends say fix it, the car audio guys say get JL... its like 300 to fix and 500 for new subs, money wise its smarter to fix it because i'll look out more in the future not to blow it and I'll ask for some kind of warrantee on the repair... we'll have to see
9 posts Page 1 of 1
kuchnie na wymiar radomsko