Car Audio Gods, Please Have Mercy On Me (Amp Problem)

Q&A: Electrical and In Car Entertainment (I.C.E.) Technical Support
22 posts Page 1 of 2
artsar
6th Planet Addict

by artsar » Thu May 31, 2007 8:35 pm
so I have an MRF-345 alpine amp (the V12 series), I may have spelt the name of the amp wrong... EITHER WAY, when i turn it up all of a sudden the amp cuts out and the screen on the amp reads 'CUR' or current. I took the amp in about 3 months ago to the shop I got it at and they sent it in and it came back as if it was perfect. I'm running my type R components off of the amp but the tweeters are not installed as of yet. All the positives go to positives and the negatives to negatives. Mike (Rear-Vue) helped me try to fix this during feb or march to no luck. The volt meter said everything was good, no spikes in anything. Its all 4 guage wiring and 12 guage speaker wire... any ideas what could be wrong? I'm going to take it back tomorrow, again, and see if they can help, but I'd like to have the amp for the bash.

Thanks

Adam

coppertop_01
Crazy Saturn Mofo

by coppertop_01 » Thu May 31, 2007 8:59 pm
Sounds like you need a better power or grounding..........bigger wire needed try using 2ga, what current does the amp draw?

Jer

97SaturnSC2-Turbo
6th Planet Addict
by 97SaturnSC2-Turbo » Thu May 31, 2007 9:07 pm
If your not running the tweeters, the impedance of the speakers could be wrong. Components are setup so that you get 4 ohms when both the tweeters and the drivers are hooked up. Im not sure what the impedance is on the drivers alone, especially if you're using the corssovers included with the components. Although it could be correct and I may be wrong, but it is something worth checking to rule it out at least.

Kevin

sc2racer
our6thplanet.com Owns me
by sc2racer » Thu May 31, 2007 11:10 pm
I would go with what Jer said ... As my career now is a Car audio installer .. every car that comes in with amps shutting down and NOT going into protection .. try moving youre ground to a better location .. thickening the ground wire to a bigger guage wire .. if its possible, Make it bigger the the positive, but for cosmetics if you care .. make it the same size ... and Also, same as Jer said ... Maybe upgrade the size of your power wire to a 2 or 0 guage wire ... it will help the amp as those amps do need alot of current and do need a very strong and sturdy ground to function properly

artsar
6th Planet Addict

by artsar » Thu May 31, 2007 11:23 pm
i'll try that tomorrow, before i take back the amp

sc2racer
our6thplanet.com Owns me
by sc2racer » Thu May 31, 2007 11:53 pm
yeah deffinetely change the ground first since its the simplest thing .. and try going to a thicker guage wire .. 2 guage like jer said ..

artsar
6th Planet Addict

by artsar » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:39 am
should I get those brass connectors that go through the floor (drill and clamp them) or should I just metal tap them in?

artsar
6th Planet Addict

by artsar » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:41 am
another thing... why is it only my 4 channel that does this and not my sub amp, even though the sub amp is 1000RMS (more like 700) and the 4 channel is like 3 or 400...

sc2racer
our6thplanet.com Owns me
by sc2racer » Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:00 pm
Most of the time people Metal tap them ... but use hald inch self tap screws or 3/4 so at least you have the piece of mind that it will hold ....

What kind of amp do you have running the subs ? .. name brand wise ..

artsar
6th Planet Addict

by artsar » Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:51 pm
Alpine MRD-1005. everything is alpine. ALso i started to tweak some of the settings and it takes alot more for it to cut out. I'm going to get the ground. See how that works and if the problem is solved no need to change anything else.

coppertop_01
Crazy Saturn Mofo

by coppertop_01 » Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:34 pm
I don't like tapping screws, they don't have the same torquing strength as a bolt all the way through the steel

First thing off..........redo the ground, just do something simple and easy to make sure that is the problem before wasting all the time doing it

Then work on the power wire..............but one sec before you do all that work

CHECK THE BATTERY GROUND!!!!!!! Something I noticed when I did my stereo installation, hooking up the ground in the trunk, with the battery in the trunk.

Saturn DOES NOT clean the paint off the body where the battery ground connects to the car frame!!!!!! This is probably your problem, clean the surface with some sandpaper, and re-test your system

Jer

artsar
6th Planet Addict

by artsar » Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:09 pm
i went to the audio shop today to see what they would say, they looked up the amp and problems on the net and came up with that its either the wire size(like everyone said) or someone crimped a wire on something when they installed it, so I figured that was the easiest solution on the spot, they gave me some wire, I took the speakers out and rewired them in the trunk... cranked it and they stayed on... so I got some new speaker wire. Going to rewire that tonight, and then play with the grounds and what not when i decide for sure where to put the amp. Not saying that I found the problem for sure, but the problem was solved as of now when i replaced the wire at the shop.

Thanks for the help everyone

sc2racer
our6thplanet.com Owns me
by sc2racer » Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:35 pm
Yea well before doing anything with ground wires...like Jer said .. Shave the the paint off the body wherever you make your ground .. or else it will be weak

coppertop_01
Crazy Saturn Mofo

by coppertop_01 » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:23 pm
Yeah I couldn't believe that saturn didn't clean off the paint................I am surprised that saturn doesn't have problems with the ION's not having enough current to start with the ground having paint under it

Jer

artsar
6th Planet Addict

by artsar » Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:24 am
so its official, it wasn't the ground. it was just some defect (mine or manufacturers) in the wiring to the speakers. I replaced the wiring with better stuff and everything works the way it should. I even had enough time to wire my neon into my trunk. I'm going to grind down the paint for the grounds and what not when I decide where the amps will go for good. Don't want to grind this and that and still not be satisfied with the placement. Thanks for the help everyone.

PS: If anyone feels up to the challange I need to get the stereo tuned soon. Hopefully at the bash.
22 posts Page 1 of 2
kuchnie na wymiar radomsko