Wiring routing in an Ion

Q&A: Electrical and In Car Entertainment (I.C.E.) Technical Support
9 posts Page 1 of 1
Arkane24

by Arkane24 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:27 pm
Figured i'd ask here. I have an '03 Ion, and I have tried to run my wiring away from power sources, but I am still getting a buzz from the alternator that matches my RPM's at the time. What is everyone else's experience in or with this problem? I am gutting the car in the next few weeks to run more wiring and lay future wiring and would love to have this problem fixed. I may just go with a ground loop isolator. Ideas?

Frostman
6th Planet Addict

by Frostman » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:25 pm
If you are running your RCA's and your power right beside each other, this may cause the buzzing you are hearing. Run the RCA's on on side of the car and the power on the other side.

I am not sure of this idea, but wouldn't a cap help take out some of the whine? Would it act as a buffer?

smurfdude50
6th Planet Addict
by smurfdude50 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:49 pm
Frostman wrote:I am not sure of this idea, but wouldn't a cap help take out some of the whine? Would it act as a buffer?

Caps only act as a power saver, so when a long extended bass hit it usually dims your lights and takes a lot of power, cap tried to even it out so the bass takes more power from the cap saving power from the battery.

But the RCA's should be on the opposite side of the power cord.

andrew88
Our Fearless Leader

by andrew88 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:21 pm
Yes rca's away from power. I had this problem on my old coupe when I had an amp on my rear 6*9s, tried ground loop isolator, helped but never went away. Ended up just running them off the HU.

Our alternators like to make noise!

Arkane24

by Arkane24 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:16 am
Well with the battery being in the trunk, there has never been an issue with power lines, only one that I can imagine that is giving me the problem is the actualy power cable running from the battery to the alternator. This has been the only car to boggle my mind really since no matter where I route the RCA's, there is always that alternator whine.

I plan on gutting the car this coming weekend anyways to do the future wiring for tv and such, so maybe i'll see where all the other wires are routed in this car. All my RCA's run on the passenger side of the car.

sc2_projekt_97
6th Planet Addict

by sc2_projekt_97 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:46 pm
what brand RCAs are you using?

cheap ones will do this because the coating on them is poor poor quality

Arkane24

by Arkane24 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:15 am
I've used 2 different brands and now I switched to Monster Cable with the same result.

Viperoni
onenut

by Viperoni » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:16 pm
Try grounding your deck better.
On your deck's wiring connector, you'll have have the black connect from the deck to the stock wiring harness. Run another line from the deck's wiring adapter to a solid ground point somewhere on the firewall or maybe floorboard.

Also make sure however you have your amps mounted that they are not touching metal in any way, like through even the screws you use to mount the amp. Also make sure the amp is properly grounded to the chassis.

Worst case, you can get a ground-loop isolator and connect it to the deck and that should solve the problem.

Are you using RCA's that use "twisted pair" or are regular (and the correct type for this application) coaxial wire?

Arkane24

by Arkane24 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:18 pm
Ok, the way that I have this set up is like this, amps are not touching metal in any way they are mounted to a wooden amp rack, they are grounded to the bracket by the battery but not to the battery itself. Wires are correct (spent the money to get the proper cables) and for now i'm using that braided wire that was the ground for the stock head unit ( I am assuming) I will try mounting another wire for a ground to the chassis.
9 posts Page 1 of 1
kuchnie na wymiar radomsko