O2 Sensor...

Q&A: Electrical and In Car Entertainment (I.C.E.) Technical Support
11 posts Page 1 of 1
inflames625
6th Planet Addict
Posts: 154
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:52 pm
Location: Lancaster PA
by inflames625 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:32 pm
it just doesnt seem right...it sometimes goes too lean when in idle and sometimes its way too rich...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkLDwnUkGbo

turn up your volume lol sorry its from my cell
Viperoni
onenut
Posts: 1667
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:44 am
Location: B-town, ON
 
by Viperoni » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:22 am
inflames625 wrote:it just doesnt seem right...it sometimes goes too lean when in idle and sometimes its way too rich...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkLDwnUkGbo

turn up your volume lol sorry its from my cell


The video is private and I can't view it, but what the sensor needs to do is:

-bounce between lean and rich at idle, a max of about 5 seconds between the two extremes.
-go rich during WOT
-go lean when you're at a fairly high rpm (say 4k) and let off the gas (if you have a manual)

This is all with the engien completely warmed up, say 15 minutes worth of driving at these cold temperatures right now.

 

inflames625
6th Planet Addict
Posts: 154
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:52 pm
Location: Lancaster PA
by inflames625 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:42 am
thanks for the reply..btw its public now

 

Viperoni
onenut
Posts: 1667
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:44 am
Location: B-town, ON
 
by Viperoni » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:46 pm
The o2 sensor seems to be responding about right.

 

inflames625
6th Planet Addict
Posts: 154
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:52 pm
Location: Lancaster PA
by inflames625 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:16 pm
really? well thats good AND bad.. whenever i punch it the car bogs just a little and the O2 sensor reads red...then sometimes it turns off completely until i give it gas. is there anyway to richin the mix so that whever i punch it the engine has something to burn instead of bogging down for a few secs?

 

viperssaturn
Moderator
Posts: 1653
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:34 am
Location: Hamilton
 
by viperssaturn » Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:07 pm
Thats called lack of torque. Its not a bog, its hesitation and unless you start modding your 124hp Beast it will more than likely stay that way. I've got almost all the bolt-ons and I can honestly tell you that my car still sucks monkey balls. The air pump in the 3rd gens really kills power too BTW. Are you experiencing these issues with your heat on perhaps?

 

inflames625
6th Planet Addict
Posts: 154
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:52 pm
Location: Lancaster PA
by inflames625 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:56 pm
haha oooooh the heat pump that f*cking power hog. i tested the reaction of the meter by turning things on and off. turning the fan on would make it run 4-8 blocks leaner haha. oh well. i just love the feel of torque. after this car is done i have plans on getting an audi A4 1.8t so i have that torque i love so much. the saturn has torque sometimes...i think it only runs when it feels like it. lol thanks for the reply

 

Viperoni
onenut
Posts: 1667
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:44 am
Location: B-town, ON
 
by Viperoni » Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:29 pm
When you punch the gas, the car should NOT hesitate or BOG, it should just start to accelerate. Sure our cars aren't fast, but if you get ANY kind of sputtering, bogging, vibration, bascially anything other than smoothness, you've got some sort of issue.

How many miles on the o2 sensor?

Doesn't the air pump just pump air into the exhaust? If so, it shouldn't affect anything. Your 3rd gens have small exhaust ports, that's about the only thing that should be hurting your top end power.

Try this, take it up to about 5krpm in a gear, preferably 2nd or 3rd, and floor it. If it starts accelerating without anything unusual happening, you're probably ok. What's your gas mileage like?

 

inflames625
6th Planet Addict
Posts: 154
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:52 pm
Location: Lancaster PA
by inflames625 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:12 pm
the o2 sensor hasnt been changed im sure. ive had the car sing 98k and it has 118 now. at 5k rpm its fine..just when im around 1-2 its slow at catching up. and i have a slight vibration because the mount at the bottom on the engine for the exhaust was taken off. so the whole pipe kinda channels the vibs from the rpms.

 

viperssaturn
Moderator
Posts: 1653
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:34 am
Location: Hamilton
 
by viperssaturn » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:20 pm
Viperoni wrote:When you punch the gas, the car should NOT hesitate or BOG, it should just start to accelerate. Sure our cars aren't fast, but if you get ANY kind of sputtering, bogging, vibration, bascially anything other than smoothness, you've got some sort of issue.

How many miles on the o2 sensor?

Doesn't the air pump just pump air into the exhaust? If so, it shouldn't affect anything. Your 3rd gens have small exhaust ports, that's about the only thing that should be hurting your top end power.

Try this, take it up to about 5krpm in a gear, preferably 2nd or 3rd, and floor it. If it starts accelerating without anything unusual happening, you're probably ok. What's your gas mileage like?


Its a Saturn, if you don't have any vibrations, you bought something with VTEC :wink: The air pump is a power slut!! My lights dim when it kicks on but they dont stay dim. My lights dont dim when my stereo is pumping so that shows how much of a slut it is. And personally, I have never driven or been in a Saturn that is only smoothness, including yours when accelerating 8)

 

Viperoni
onenut
Posts: 1667
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:44 am
Location: B-town, ON
 
by Viperoni » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:59 pm
viperssaturn wrote:
Viperoni wrote:When you punch the gas, the car should NOT hesitate or BOG, it should just start to accelerate. Sure our cars aren't fast, but if you get ANY kind of sputtering, bogging, vibration, bascially anything other than smoothness, you've got some sort of issue.

How many miles on the o2 sensor?

Doesn't the air pump just pump air into the exhaust? If so, it shouldn't affect anything. Your 3rd gens have small exhaust ports, that's about the only thing that should be hurting your top end power.

Try this, take it up to about 5krpm in a gear, preferably 2nd or 3rd, and floor it. If it starts accelerating without anything unusual happening, you're probably ok. What's your gas mileage like?


Its a Saturn, if you don't have any vibrations, you bought something with VTEC :wink: The air pump is a power slut!! My lights dim when it kicks on but they dont stay dim. My lights dont dim when my stereo is pumping so that shows how much of a slut it is. And personally, I have never driven or been in a Saturn that is only smoothness, including yours when accelerating 8)


Haha I guess I shouldn't have said smoothness, but if you have any kind of *abnormal* bucking, surging, vibration, different engien note, etc, then there's obviuosly a problem.

For the record, I had a really old o2 sensor, and it was not working properly, and my only telltale sign was poor mileage even under very very light highway driving, certain dull spots in the power band (down low actually), and I was throwing a "Knock Sensor too active" code. Then I hooked up a datalogging computer and I saw the voltages it was putting out LOL.

Anyhow, I got a new Bosch o2 sensor, and now the car pulls like a beast. And I actually cracked 28mpg in the winter with a fair bit of highway driving (something like 2/3 of the sample).



Just to be sure, connect a volmeter to the o2 sensor output, but as long as the sensor responds as I wrote above, it should be ok.
Just make sure that it responds pretty quickly to when you stab the gas though... it shoulnd't lag behind like 1/2 a second.
11 posts Page 1 of 1
kuchnie na wymiar radomsko

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest