Q&A: Electrical and In Car Entertainment (I.C.E.) Technical Support
16 posts Page 1 of 2

Good Idea?

33% Yes
67% No

Total votes: 6

ScottyC

by ScottyC » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:49 pm
Im fairly new at this so it may seem like a stupid question.... Im removing the rear backrest in mty 97saturn sc2 and replacing it with a custom sound sys completly done by me.., I figured id by some MDF probably 5/8 inches think because i dont think 3/8 would hold and im attaching 2 rockford 10's and rockford amp and a capactior. how would i go about doing this from someone else's point of view. theres a slight angle to which im goin to have to put the mdf on.... does anyone know what i can attach the mdf to?, and what i should definitly do while doing this. any tips, info, or suggestions greatly appreciated...

artsar
6th Planet Addict

by artsar » Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:07 pm
why are you doing an enclosure in the back seat, with only 10" rockfords. Unless these require alot of cubic foot space why would you remove the entire back seat?

ScottyC

by ScottyC » Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:58 pm
im only removing the backrest nopt the bottom part of the seat and thats not a tip im looking for help not crap?

viperssaturn

by viperssaturn » Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:30 pm
You would have to pre drill the MDF into the frame of the trunk (the metal piece the backrest is attached too) and then BOLT it on there. Do not use screws because they will come loose from all the pounding. As for whether or not it is a good idea? I voted for no because it is not functional. If it is strictly a show car or you never plan on having people back there, then go ahead. But if you are going to do it that way, why not do a custom fibreglass enclosure to make it look nice?

ScottyC

by ScottyC » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:43 pm
thanx for the tip...If i had the cash id go with the fibreglass but this is the inexppensive way of doing it ha ha lol....i would have to use nuts n bolts to hold it in place as well... theres only the metal piece on top so would it be sturdy to just attach it there.... id say if i pops 4 bolts on ha ha, theres never usually ppl back there anyway so f*** it.

Viperoni
onenut

by Viperoni » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:55 pm
Unless you completely seal off the cabin of the car from the trunk, which means you have to create an MDF decklid, you're wasting your time and effort.
Also, it'll look really bland and out of place if you don't fibreglass the subs and amp into place.

I'm going to go with no as well, might as well build a better looking setup in the trunk.

ScottyC

by ScottyC » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:18 am
what if i silicon every edge to seal it off?

Viperoni
onenut

by Viperoni » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:22 pm
ScottyC wrote:what if i silicon every edge to seal it off?

Silicone could work.....
How would you seal the speaker holes in the rear declid?

sc2_projekt_97
6th Planet Addict

by sc2_projekt_97 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:33 pm
ScottyC wrote:im only removing the backrest nopt the bottom part of the seat and thats not a tip im looking for help not crap?

chill out bro!

and i say no. this is not functional or practical. you will have seat bottoms with no backs. it will look wierd. also, you will never be able to get nice sounding bass with this setup. you would have to build a box a little smaller than the trunk and wedge it in there. if you try to seal off the trunk and use the turnk as you box, you will NEVER have a tight enclosure. just leave the back seats in and build a nice box in the trunk. maybe even build it in the spare tire well if you want to be creative. or, put a 10" sub in the rear package tray between the two 6.5" speakers like i did :) custum built box mounted in with existing bolt holes underneath the tray cover. also, it is on unit that puts a nice amp "wall" behind the back seats. seats closed, completely stock. seats down, amps, wiring and neons! lol. anyways. go for something clean, functional and a little more practical.

anyways, good luck with whatever you do.

PurpleRain
6th Planet Addict
by PurpleRain » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:57 pm
Like everyone has said, I would build a box. Not just for all the reasons that everyone has mentioned. I don't know where you live, but... wouldn't you be worried about theft with everything just sitting there???? Maybe I've been in the city too long... lol... but that's just my thoughts!

ScottyC

by ScottyC » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:08 pm
ok so say i built a box attached in the trunk compartment what would the dimensions be that my subs would put out a good sound sumthing like a sub bought from canadian tire or sumthing..... thats then with the subs facing out but say i pointed the sub into the car.... What ya think...

[/img]

viperssaturn

by viperssaturn » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:18 pm
What would be the point of the port inside the car? What is the functioning purpose?Doing a fibreglass box is not expensive. Sanding it properly takes patience and knowing when to keep sanding even when you want to paint or cover it. You should be able to build a fibreglass box for around the same amount of an mdf box. You can get decent fabric to cover it and what not and then it wont cost you too much. You can also build it properly to the right specs. Remember, our cars are slow enough without adding more weight, so keep everything in there functional and dont add anything that doesnt have a purpose.

sc2_projekt_97
6th Planet Addict

by sc2_projekt_97 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:15 am
PurpleRain wrote:Like everyone has said, I would build a box. Not just for all the reasons that everyone has mentioned. I don't know where you live, but... wouldn't you be worried about theft with everything just sitting there???? Maybe I've been in the city too long... lol... but that's just my thoughts!

hell no dude im with you! i am even having my mom sew me a little cover to throw over my SAFC so that some one walking by wouldnt know what it is glancing in my window. faceplate it always off, amps are hidden so that even if you open the trunk you won't find em. sub is bolted in! only way to get my shit is to steal the whole car. and i live in the suburbs :) i just dont trust people anymore

back on topic. what we are all saying here is that your idea is only a good one if you do not plan on daily driving this car. if you want to build a show car then pull out everything and make a custom set up. practical and functional are the two keys for a daily driver. this setup is showing practicality as of now. the weight you are adding at this point will hurt gas milage. also, it kind of sounds like you are not sure what you are doing. not being a dick or anything, but maybe you should do some more research before you attempt something like this.

example:
ok so say i built a box attached in the trunk compartment what would the dimensions be that my subs would put out a good sound sumthing like a sub bought from canadian tire or sumthing..... thats then with the subs facing out but say i pointed the sub into the car.... What ya think...

every sub is different in the dimensions that it would want to sound proper. you need to rearch your subs before you try to build them a house. if you dont and guess, odd are your shit will sound like ass. do you know if your subs need a ported box? are they reccommended to only go into a sealed enclosure? there is a whole lot more to doing this the right way then stuffing a huge box into your car and thinking everything is going to sound fantastic.

ScottyC

by ScottyC » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:42 pm
bys thanx for you comments...but here are a few answers I work well with wood. im not so sure about fiberglass... fiberglass enclosure is definitly alot more expensive than a 32 dollar sheet of mdf.... i figured my set-up would look nice i can get carpeting for 15 dollars for a roll 3x6 feet... the back seat is only 43inches wide and 24 inches high i figured a simple set up would be sefice.... as for weight wats the difference from a sub box in my trunk made of mdf thats already there from can tire and the 43 x 24 inch sheet in my rear seat after removing the seats, plus the mdf would have 2 10" holes cut in them pretty sure it wont be to heavy.... i dont have any idea as of yet what the sounds going to be like but thats all apart of the process finding ways to make it sound decent... the back-seat is rarely used in my case unless my girl is with me...ha ha... and the subs definitly wont come in the way of that.....about it beinf functioning wtf are you askin no its not going to pop out any 27inch plasma or have any kinda movement besides the subs bouncin... i figured it was a simple set-up.... no tips here beside dont do it not if your going to do it this way you have to do this... jus bullshit... 32 dollars worth of expenses isnt a huge loss even if it doesnt sound extremely perfect... as for theft im going to tint my windows n hope the hell no one touches the car, i got an alarm n by the time they unscrew everything to take it either they'll be deaf or caught ha ha...alarms nutz,,,, also any idea if a dry nitrous kit that i dont use is a good deal for a brand new polyurethane bodykit... wat ya think

Chaz

by Chaz » Sun May 25, 2008 12:57 pm
[EDIT] wow this is an old thread delete this post lol
16 posts Page 1 of 2
kuchnie na wymiar radomsko