battery question...

Q&A: Electrical and In Car Entertainment (I.C.E.) Technical Support
9 posts Page 1 of 1
dazz
6th Planet Addict

by dazz » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:38 pm
ive got a optima red top in my summer car and just a regular ac delco in my winter car... is it better to run the optima all year round and just use the delco as backup or use the delco now and just maintain the optima while its out of use?

also, i got a 1a trickle charger from ct... how often and how long do i have to charge a battery if im maintaining it?

thanks

viperssaturn

by viperssaturn » Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:42 pm
Most trickle chargers will allow you to keep your battery on the charger.

Sleepy Sl
by Sleepy Sl » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:27 pm
run the delco. save the optima, Ive got a yellow top and that battery is awesome.I use it all year round. cant beat a optima

sc2racer
our6thplanet.com Owns me
by sc2racer » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:22 am
Chris I'm in the same position you are .. I have my sunfire as an every day car and the saturn has the red top in it ... I keep it in the Saturn but I will be taking it out very shortly as the car is off insurance and I won't be driving it so i'm going to put it on the trickle charger ... or i might just keep it in the car nad charge in the car so at least I can start it up ..

sc2_projekt_97
6th Planet Addict

by sc2_projekt_97 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:46 am
sc2racer wrote:Chris I'm in the same position you are .. I have my sunfire as an every day car and the saturn has the red top in it ... I keep it in the Saturn but I will be taking it out very shortly as the car is off insurance and I won't be driving it so i'm going to put it on the trickle charger ... or i might just keep it in the car nad charge in the car so at least I can start it up ..

better idea...its always goo to start a stored car in the winter and let it run at normal operating temps for like 20 min every few weeks

dazz
6th Planet Addict

by dazz » Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:02 pm
bad idea... if i dry start it like that every few weeks it would be worse on the engine and the battery...

am i supposed to leave the trickle charge on the battery for as long as im not using it? someone told me just to do it every couple week or every month for like a day...

well heres the thing though... i still have one year of free replacement left... so i guess i can do whatever to it since ill probably just get another one come spring...

sc2racer
our6thplanet.com Owns me
by sc2racer » Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:07 pm
Yah I don't let the car site for more then a week without starting her ... only cause oil will get old, gas will get dirty and the battery stands a much bigger chanc of dying .. I always tend to start it in storage at least once or max 2 times a week ..

subliminal64
Post Whore

by subliminal64 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:02 pm

I left my Purple Haze battery in my car last winter while in storage. I started it up about evry 3 weeks. Then I didn't start it for about 5 weeks. I went to start it...nothing. Put it on the charger, and it wouldn't charge past 50%. Took it to crappy tire...they said it was fooked. There went $190. I've heard that if spiral cell batteries get under a certain percentage...they're fooked. I pulled my battery out this year. I'll put it back in when I want to run the car.

coppertop_01
Crazy Saturn Mofo

by coppertop_01 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:04 pm
I had a simular problem with a optima red top...........

Jer
9 posts Page 1 of 1
kuchnie na wymiar radomsko